University and ASI presidents share a slice of connections with students

Jayronan Vanthy/The Collegian
ASI President Karen Carrillo and Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval handing out pies with ice cream at the President’s Booth on Nov. 9. The event was called “Pie with the Presidents” and was held with the intention of connecting with the campus community.

Associated Students Inc. President Karen Carrillo and Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval stepped out Thursday, Nov. 9, into the quad behind the President’s Booth to dish out pies topped with ice cream to students.

About a month ago, the two presidents hosted a similar event called “Pizza with the Presidents” where in similar fashion to Thursday’s event, they served a treat as people walked by. The gestures are aimed at forging deeper connections and fostering a sense of community.

The designated goal is that the presidents are able to step down from their formal positions of authority and humanize themselves to the people that they serve and let them know that they exist.

Melissa Sierra, a Fresno State student, said she is aware the university has a president but wasn’t sure who he was.

“I didn’t know his name, I didn’t know what he was doing, but I saw him. He just handed us the ice cream so we don’t really know him, but just who he is,” Sierra said.

Many of the students who came to get pie knew who the university president was, whether it was from seeing him around or through events like these. Erik Barrera wanted to get pictures with Jiménez-Sandoval.

“I never met him before until today. He seems pretty cool, seems like a cool guy you know” Barrera said.

According to Jiménez-Sandoval, he wanted a way to engage with the students in a very straightforward and clear way, and with food added into the mix, it would be even more engaging.

“I wanted students to know who their president is, and most importantly, I want students to know who their ASI president is,” he said.

According to Jiménez-Sandoval, the presidents have the resources and could therefore help when it is needed. They can also provide support and that reassurance that somebody is looking out for them as they are going through their academic career.

In the past, Jiménez-Sandoval says that students have come up to him while he is in his booth talking about their issues with financial aid, or not being able to get a class when they’re about to graduate, or just simply issues with the school that discourage them.

The president is at the booth twice a month.

“I am very fortunate to say that our university president is one of the few presidents that is willing to work with your student government and be present,” Carrillo said.

Carrillo was inspired by other universities that had also held pizza events with a particular administrator.

Sticking with the theme of “P’s” Carrillo not only thought of pies to be a fitting goodie, but with Thanksgiving around the corner it seemed to her that it was more than appropriate for the season.

“Whenever I see my counterparts through conferences or meetings they always tell me, I’m so jealous of your president. I wish I had your president because they see the relationship I have with him and they would want a relationship like that on their campus,” Carrillo said.