Relax and Refresh event provides insights on issues of mental health

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Fresno State Spotlights Events host a Relax and Refresh event at The Ruiz ballroom on Nov. 8. The event was a part of Stress Free Week from Nov. 6-10.

Fresno State students gathered at the Ruiz Ballroom in the Resnick Student Union on Nov. 8 as the Student Health and Counseling Center and students in the Public Health (PH) 133 class hosted a relaxing and refreshing event.

Fresno State Spotlight Events hosted the activity Relax and Refresh as part of “Stress Free Week.”

The students from PH 133 had several booths to inform students about ways to stay healthy and preface the importance of being aware of mental health. PH 133 has been preparing for this event since the start of this semester.

“I think it came together really well; the topics worked out,” Clara Escamilla, PH 133 professor, told The Collegian. “The part that I really enjoyed was being able to work in conjunction with the health center.”

Students in PH 133 were divided into groups for the project. Some of the booths included topics of peer pressure, alcohol safety, depression, body dysmorphia, anxiety, managing stress eating and many more. There was also a massage station.

Each of the booths had different activities and information for students to look at. For example, the alcohol safety booth had alcohol goggles that students put on and tried to walk in a straight line.

The Collegian spoke with many of the students involved, discussing why their respective issues are essential for college students to understand and learn.

“The addiction is what’s the problem,” Daniel Placencia said. “We all have a drink here and there; we just don’t want people to get addicted.”

At Fresno State, over 70% of students were diagnosed with depression, according to Ariana Gonzalez’s group from her class. One of the focuses of their group was talking about the different types of depression. One of the facts they had on their board was how depression can happen recurrently.

Abigail Canales and her group from her class chose to cover body dysmorphia because of its relevance to students.

Canales and her groups displayed several celebrities who have body dysmorphia to show students that even though they are very successful, they aren’t immune to the same struggles that students may go through. This group also gave sticky notes where students could write positive messages to themselves or other students.

While peer pressure often has negative connotations, Harjeeven Bal’s booth on peer pressure focused on how it can also be used positively. The activity he had was for students to write on a sticky note when peer pressure has led to a positive change in their lives.

Bal also mentioned reasons why people succumb to peer pressure.

“The biggest thing for peer pressure is just being self aware and having the ability to say no,” Bal said.

Another problem that students face is anxiety. Similar to the body dysmorphia booth, this group also showed celebrities who have anxiety as a way for students to know they aren’t the only ones dealing with it.

Sachpreet Kaur stressed the importance of being aware of anxiety for college students.

“College students have a lot to juggle, whether they’re part or full-time students, they also have full or part-time jobs, so it can get overwhelming,” Kaur said.

Stress eating is also something that many students do. This can occur without even knowing it. One of the reasons can even be procrastination.

“Recognizing patterns that you fall into will help you with them,” Hyatt Alyafaie said. “Sometimes students are so overwhelmed and caught up in the stress that they don’t even realize what they’re doing until it’s too late.”

For more information on health and wellness, visit the Student Health and Counseling Center website.

The next event for “Stress Free Week” is Dine and Dish on Nov. 9 at 6 p.m. in RSU Room 207.