For Rent Dr J Ad

Women’s golf competes at Pat Lesser Harbottle Invitational in Washington

Sophomore+Katelyn+Lehigh+hits+the+ball+at+the+Leadership+and+Golf+Invitational+at+the+Chambers+Bay+Golf+Course+in+Washington.+
Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics
Sophomore Katelyn Lehigh hits the ball at the Leadership and Golf Invitational at the Chambers Bay Golf Course in Washington.

Even after shooting their second highest score of the season, the Fresno State women’s golf team was able to take home a ninth place finish at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Invitational, hosted by Seattle University at Tacoma Country Club, which occurred from Oct. 3-4.

In Fresno State’s last outing, the ‘Dogs finished fifth at the Colonel Wollenberg Ptarmigan Ram Classic, carding a 6-under 858. Freshman Sophia Yi-Ju Chen led the teamt with a season-low 3-round at 5-under 211, tying for tenth in the tournament. 

Tacoma proved to be a challenge as the ‘Dogs lowest scores carded in day one was 1-over par from Katelyn Lehigh and Amelia Garibaldi. They also tied Grand Canyon University with 12 birdies and finished the round with a score of 296. 

The ‘Dogs tied Seattle University and Santa Clara University with a score of 2-over par on the par 3’s. Weber State led at 2-under par, but ended up falling behind later into the tournament. 

Fresno State technically performed worse overall in round 2, scoring a 297, junior Jinyu Wu upped her game and was able to finish the round at 1-under par, three strokes better than her day one finish. 

Six teams, including Fresno State, were tied for third with 12 birdies in the round. The Bulldogs also did much better on the par 3’s which continue to be something they excel at, tying UC Irvine for second at 1-under par. 

The final round was the Bulldogs’ best day so far, carding a 7-over 295. Jinyu Wu played even better, finishing the day with a 2-under 70 and fifth in the tournament. Fresno State’s final score was 24-over par, 888.

The ‘Dogs have time to rest up as their next tournament is nearly three weeks away. They’ll compete at the Clash at Boulder Peak in Nevada, from Oct. 22-24.