Men’s golf ends the fall season with a fifth-place finish in Stockton

Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics
Fresno State golfer Matthew Manganello hits the ball during the Nick Watney Invitational at the Fort Washington Country Club.

In its final fall season tournament, the Fresno State men’s golf team finished strong as senior Matthew Sutherland led the way to fifth place overall at the Visit Stockton Pacific Invitational. 

The Bulldogs were coming from a ninth-place finish at the Alister MacKenzie Invite where Sutherland would shoot the lowest score of his career, 14-under par 199. The team’s overall score was 20-under par.

In round one, Sutherland and freshman Ryan Firpo led the Bulldogs  as they both carded a score of 3-under par 69. Firpo had four birdies in the round, making it his season-high record. The ‘Dogs ended the round at 8-under 280, putting them into the fifth spot. 

The team continued to perform well in the next round, carding a 14-under 562 and was able to keep fifth place again that day. Sutherland stayed consistent, finishing at 6-under par and tied for ninth in the tournament. Junior Joseph Lloyd tied for 14th with 5-under par 139. 

In the final round, Sutherland led the team with a score of 12-under par 204, making it his third-lowest tournament score this season and tied for fourth place. Lloyd, Firpo, and Manganello scored 1-under par. The Bulldogs finished fifth with a 23-under par 841. 

Fresno State also had 57 birdies in the tournament, tying Washington State and California State University, Northridge. On the par 5’s was where they performed the best as they were in second place at 28-under par. 

The men’s golf team now has a long break until the N.I.T tournament in Tucson, Arizona, from Jan. 29-30.