Fresno State women’s basketball blows out La Verne in exhibition match

Mia+Jacobs+shoots+a+3-pointer+over+the+Leopards+at+the+Save+Mart+Center+on+Oct.+27.+
Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian
Mia Jacobs shoots a 3-pointer over the Leopards at the Save Mart Center on Oct. 27.

The Fresno State women’s basketball team opened up its season with an exhibition game victory at home.

Last season, Head Coach Jaime White and the Bulldogs didn’t maintain a winning record throughout the year ending 11-18 overall. 

While this season shows to be an entirely new team with several new add-ons to the roster,  the Bulldogs were able to pull off a blowout. 

Forward Bineta Diatta was one of many newcomers who had a standout game using her quickness to go off on fast breaks while having solid defense. 

“In the start, I was trying to just feel it out a little bit, trying to get my post in and being in the right position at the right time and it just started working,” Diatta said.

The Fresno State women’s basketball team defeated the University of La Verne, 96-43 in an exhibition matchup at the Save Mart Center on Oct. 27.       

The first quarter opened up strong for the Bulldogs, as they got on the board quickly. This was complemented with solid defense to allow only 11 points with 2 minutes remaining. 

Bulldog Sydney Dethman pushes through tough defense. (Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian)

The ‘Dogs closed out the first quarter gaining rebounds that helped stay on top, 29-17. 

The momentum continued for the Bulldogs as Diatta got on a fast break to put the ‘Dogs on the board first in the second quarter.

“[Diatta] She was solid and just finished well and has good speed and that’s really going to be positive as we are going into preseason and conference,” White said. 

Shortly after, the Bulldogs’ bench rose to its feet cheering as Diatta blocked a pass by the Leopards. 

At the 5-minute mark, the ‘Dogs held its aggression keeping a 39-21 advantage forcing the Leopards to take a timeout. 

Diatta and the ‘Dogs remained connected to the basket, adding on 8 points to go up 47-21.

The Leopards responded with a successful shot scheming up an efficient offense, but it wasn’t enough to fight back.

The ‘Dogs ended the first half on a 3-point shot by forward Mia Jacobs to stay up 52-23. 

“I was excited to see us get out and start running. I thought we were physical and number one we played defense first. I thought defensively we played very well,” White said.  

Taija Sta. Maria calls a play for the Bulldogs. (Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian)

Coming out from the half the ‘Dogs picked up where they left off.

The complimentary ball was being played on both defense and offense to maintain its lead and keep the Leopards from cutting the deficit.

At the five-minute mark in the third quarter, the ‘Dogs had their biggest advantage of the game thus far, 70-27. 

The Leopards were able to rack up points to close the half but still remained down 78-31. 

Throughout the final quarter, the rebound-fest continued to be a big factor in the lack of points put up for the Leopards. 

The Leopards went on a 6-minute drought not being able to break through Fresno State’s defense, while the Bulldogs stayed strong putting up points, 89-31.

Despite being scoreless, the Leopards put up two back-to-back points behind the arc, good for 6 points. 

With one minute left in the game, the Leopards significantly trailed, fighting to come back but they couldn’t come out the hole.

The Fresno State Bulldogs took on a 96-43 win. 

“This year’s team, a couple of differences. I think we have a lot of speed so defensively I think we are going to be able to hold people and two I think we are pretty deep. I think we can play pretty deep into our bench,” White said. 

The Bulldogs will kick off its preseason play on Nov. 6 against Fresno Pacific at the Save Mart Center.