For Rent Dr J Ad

Fresno State football lands conference win in Logan

Fresno+State+wide+receiver+Jaelen+Gill+celebrates+with+a+teammate+after+a+touchdown+against+Nevada+at+Valley+Childrens+Stadium%2C+on+Sept.+30.++
Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian
Fresno State wide receiver Jaelen Gill celebrates with a teammate after a touchdown against Nevada at Valley Children’s Stadium, on Sept. 30.

The Fresno State football team traveled to Logan, Utah, to face Mountain West opponent Utah State on Friday night. The ‘Dogs looked to bounce back from the loss at Wyoming last week, ending a 14-game winning streak. 

One of the main questions coming into the game was who would the starting quarterback be for the ‘Dogs.

Starting Quarterback Mikey Keene was injured in last week’s game against Wyoming and had to exit the game as backup Quarterback Logan Fife filled in as relief for the remainder of the game. 

Keene was suited up and participated in pre-game warm-ups for the game against Utah State, but Fife would go on to be the starter. 

The ‘Dogs and Aggies’ first drives ended with four and outs, causing both teams to punt. 

Fresno State began its second drive from its own two-yard line. The ‘Dogs drove the ball 98 yards to score. Running back Malik Sherrod scored a 5 yard touchdown run and kicker Dylan Lynch made the point after attempt, making the score 7-0 with 6:19 to play in the first quarter. 

Utah State answered right back. Aggie quarterback Cooper Legas connected for a 29 yard touchdown reception by Jalen Royals. Kicker Elliott Nimrod made the point after attempt, evening the score at 7-7 with 3:42 left in the first quarter. 

Fresno State punted on its next drive, giving the ball back to Utah State with 1:18 left in the first quarter. 

At the end of the first quarter, the score was tied up at 7. Utah State started the second quarter with the ball at their own 36-yard line. 

The ‘Dogs defense forced a Utah State punt, starting Fresno State’s next drive at its own 14-yard line, with 12:05 to play in the second quarter. 

The ‘Dogs put together what looked like a promising drive, but ended with the Aggies forcing another Fresno State punt by Carson King. Utah State started the next drive at its own four-yard line with 9:32 to go in the second. 

Fresno State’s defense forced an Aggies punt again and began its next drive at the Utah State 45-yard line with 6:42 to play in the half. 

Fresno State put together an 11-play, 45-yard drive that ended with Fife connecting to tight end Tre Watson for a 7-yard touchdown reception. Lynch’s point after attempt was successful, making the score 14-7 for the ‘Dogs with 2:45 remaining in the second.  

Utah State yet again answered right back, putting together a seven-play, 75-yard drive ending with a 52-yard touchdown reception by Royals. Nimrod made the point-after attempt to even up the score at 14 with 1:00 left to play in the second half. 

Utah State received the second half kickoff and went on an eight-play, 55-yard drive that ended in a 37-yard field goal by Nimrod, making the score 17-14 Aggies, with 11:37 remaining in the third. 

Fresno State didn’t stand back, answering with a four-play, 57-yard drive capped off by a 46-yard touchdown run by Sherrod and a successful point after from Lynch, raising its lead to 21-17. 

The ‘Dogs defense forced a turnover on downs after the Aggies’ fourth down attempt was unsuccessful, giving Fresno State the ball back at their own 34-yard line.

The ‘Dogs made a  six-play, 66-yard drive, capped off by a 19 yard trick play touchdown pass from wide receiver Jalen Gill to Tre Watson. Lynch made the point after attempt again to extend the lead,28-17. 

On Utah State’s next drive, Legas threw an interception to defensive lineman Devo Bridges, giving Fresno State the ball back at their own 33-yard line. 

The ‘Dogs were unable to capitalize on the turnover as the Aggies’ defense forced another King punt, giving Utah State the ball back. 

At the end of the third quarter, the score was Fresno State 28, Utah State 17.

Opening the fourth quarter, Legas threw a 4- yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Terrell Vaughn to up the score 28-23. Utah State elected to go for two, and the attempt was successful after a 2-yard run by Royals, making the score 28-25. 

Fresno State put together a 10-play, 64-yard drive that ended with Lynch making a 26 yard field goal to raise the score again, 31-25. 

The Fresno State defense forced the Aggies to go three and out, giving the ‘Dogs the ball back at their own 37-yard line. 

Utah State then forced Fresno State to punt again. The Aggies then put together a five-play, 85-yard drive topped off by a 24-yard touchdown run by Rahsul Faison, 32-31. 

Fresno State took the lead with 2:19 remaining due to another Sherrod touchdown run, this one being from eleven yards. Fresno State attempted to go for two but the attempt was unsuccessful, leaving the score at 37-32. 

With 2:19 remaining in the game, Utah State got the ball back at their own 25-yard line. The Aggies looked like they were making a potential game-winning drive, but the Fresno State defense had other things in mind. Legas threw an interception to Morice Norris Jr., which sealed the victory for Fresno State. 

Fife finished the game going 22-of-39 for 291 yards and one touchdown pass. Sherrod had 23 carries, 129 yards and three touchdowns. Watson had five receptions, 76 yards and two touchdown receptions. 

The Bulldogs defense finished with three sacks and two interceptions. 

Fresno State moves on to become 6-1 on the season and 2-1 in Mountain West play. The Bulldogs are now bowl-eligible for the third-straight year. Their next game is at home against UNLV on Oct. 28.