Students for Palestinian Liberation at Fresno State hosted a peaceful sit-in today to join the national movement of student activism calling for all universities to sever ties with Israel and divest funding.
Fresno State students organize and execute peaceful protest for Palestine
May 1, 2024
Former Fresno State linebacker Levelle Bailey speaks at press conference at the Duncan Josephine Theater on Nov. 9, 2023.
Former Bulldogs sign with NFL teams following draft

Book review: ‘Lessons in Chemistry’ encourages women to step into male-dominated fields

TNS
Brie Larson as Elizabeth Zott in “Lessons in Chemistry.” (Michael Becker/Apple TV+/TNS)

A few weeks ago, during a classroom discussion with a Fresno County librarian, I was asked, “What is a book that you think everyone should read?” While I consider myself an avid reader, this question stumped me and ultimately, I was unable to give a response. After reading Bonnie Garmus’ “Lessons in Chemistry”, I can now answer the previous question with confidence.

“Lessons in Chemistry” follows the fictional tale of Elizabeth Zott, a female chemist in 1950s and ‘60s California, struggling her way through a career field in which women are not often welcome.

After losing her research position and her romantic partner, Zott finds herself pregnant, alone and jobless. As she navigates the balance between motherhood and science, Zott encounters television producer Walter Pines. In an attempt to save his own career, convinces her to be the star of his new cooking program “Supper at Six.”

The novel follows Zott and those around her, through her unique career and life all while tugging on numerous heartstrings along the way. This novel truly aligns itself with the statement, “never judge a book by its cover.” If one believes based on the cover alone that “Lessons in Chemistry” falls under the romance genre, they will be in for quite a shock.

Garmus’ novel follows the trend of women in STEM novels currently taking readers by storm. Alongside authors such as Ali Hazelwood, Helen Hoang and Christina Lauren, Garmus is inspiring women all over the world to enter discourses they have often been excluded from in the past.

Bonnie Garmus, the author of “Lessons in Chemistry,” in Germany in 2022. Her book has been adapted into a series for Apple TV+, premiering Oct. 13, 2023. (Thomas Banneyer/dpa via Zuma Press/TNS)

Her leading lady, Elizabeth Zott’s main motive is to encourage women to step out of the boundaries they have been placed in and to strive for success in male-dominated industries.

As we follow along, Elizabeth struggles to find her success in chemistry and has to give up pieces of herself as she fights for her place in the lab. Readers are exposed to emotions and heartbreak as Elizabeth continues in her life, leaving readers to make connections to similar situations in their own lives.

This is in part due to the manner in which Garmus tells Elizabeth’s story, almost entirely through Elizabeth’s and other characters’ thoughts. The analytical tone of every statement, event, or act throughout the book has the reader processing the story in a unique way, ultimately resulting in a stronger connection to the character whose thoughts we are observing.

It is no surprise “Lessons in Chemistry” has received the copious amount of awards it has, due to its literary beauty and its impactful social commentary. After being declared Barnes and Noble’s 2022 Book of the Year, Garmus’ novel gained a television deal with Apple TV+. “Lessons in Chemistry” starring Academy Award winner, Brie Larson, premiers on Apple TV+ on October 13, 2023, and I will be tuning in to be able to see Elizabeth Zott come to life on the silver screen.