Students and clubs build foundations at Traditions Day

Students engage in a game of chess with the Chess Club during Traditions Day. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

Students were encouraged to participate in clubs and receive the full empowering experience that comes with them during Traditions Day. 

“You can feel that you’re a part of Fresno State,” said Jorge Armenta, a fourth year student. 

Armenta described how he was recruited by clubs. 

“I didn’t feel like it was aggressive at all,” Armenta said.

Traditions Day is one way students can inquire about joining sororities and fraternities. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

Traditions Day featured a variety of student clubs and resources for students to inquire about on Aug. 30. It was meant for students to get involved in extracurricular activities.

Armenta said that he looks forward to Traditions Day and resonates with the atmosphere that was a byproduct of the event.

“It’s just like really heartwarming to see,” Armenta said when describing his experience as someone who was observing and interacting during the event. 

Rayne Hardy, a first year student, also attended Traditions Day, interested in looking at all the campus organizations that tabled.

“I think it was easy going as long as you put forth a genuine interest and ask questions,” Hardy said. “I think it was a nice experience overall.”

Hardy said she had planned to attend Traditions Day with the intention of joining a club but was only able to attend toward the end of the event. 

“Just faith-based [clubs] and trying to find a community on campus that can maintain my faith,” Hardy said of her interest in joining a Christian club. 

Hardy noted there could be improvements for Traditions Day. She described that most of the club members would sit at their booths and wait for students to come up to them, but some did reach out to students by handing out flyers. 

“I got a lot of information on future events,” Hardy said. 

Alex Gutierrez, a student and member of the United Student Pride (USP) club, was one of the club members who tabled at Traditions Day hoping to recruit new members. 

Gutierrez explained some of the history of the club and also the drastic difference between then and now. 

“People wanted the club but were afraid of having their name associated with being on campus. There is a history of this booth being vandalized, destroyed, and I think one time burned,” Gutierrez said. “There’s still homophobia…but we also had wonderful moments, the raising of the pride flag.”

Gutierrez shared one of the aspects of the club is activism, protests and also having resources available free to use that many may not know about. 

“There’s a cute closet that the CCGC helps put on and that has gender-affirming clothes that you’re free to grab whatever you feel matches your gender identity,” Gutierrez said.