Central Valley cinephiles prepare for a fall full of local film screenings

Crest Theatre is a historical landmark located in Downtown Fresno. (Alexa Barraza/The Collegian)

Interested in getting involved in the film community in Fresno? Looking for a good film to watch that isn’t your average blockbuster?

You’re in luck! Here’s a list of upcoming events to check out in the following weeks to come.

Reel Pride LGBTQ+ Film Festival

Since 1989, The Fresno Reel Pride LGBTQ+ Film Festival has been hosting its annual film festival throughout Downtown Fresno. The festival is meant to promote awareness of the LGBTQIA community through its display of film selections each year.

This upcoming Sept. 29 through Oct. 1, Reel Pride will have their 34th annual film festival and host multiple film showings at Tower Theatre, Vista Theatre, Fresno City College Theatre, the Fresno Art Museum and Splash! Video Dance Bar. Here is the complete schedule for all of the screenings.

You can buy your tickets for each screening here.

Manhattan Short Film Festival

This year, Manhattan Short will hold its 26th annual short film festival where over 500 cities throughout the world will be screening 10 different short films from Manhattan Short finalists from Sept. 28 through Oct. 8.

The audience will then have a chance to vote on a short film which will then be selected for the Manhattan Short Oscar Qualifying run, where each selected film will be screened for a full week in a cinema in Los Angeles. The run will qualify each film for the Oscars.

Creative Fresno, a local non-profit organization, will be hosting the Manhattan Short Film Festival for its third year this October. The event will be held at The Labyrinth Art Collective, 1470 N Van Ness, on Oct. 6 at 7:30 p.m..

Presale tickets for the event will be $10 and $12 at the door.

Historic Crest Theatre

The Historic Crest Theatre is one of Downtown Fresno’s beloved landmarks that has recently begun promoting film showings every Friday and Saturday throughout the month.

The theater will be showing Richard Donner’s “Superman” on Friday, Sept. 29 for the film’s 45th anniversary. The next day, the theater will show Tim Burton’s “Batman.”

The movie will show at 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29 and 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30. Tickets will be $5 at the door.

Stay tuned for their upcoming October calendar on their Instagram and Facebook pages.

Cinemelt

On the last Wednesday of every month, Fresno Filmworks and Cinemelt present free film showings on the patio of Goldstein’s Mortuary and Delicatessen, a bar located in Fresno’s Tower District.

Todd Strauss-Schulson’s “The Final Girls” will be shown on Oct. 25.

Stay tuned on Cinemelt’s Instagram page for more information on next month’s showing.