For Rent Dr J Ad

Elevate: What is it, who does it benefit and what’s next?

Valley+Childrens+Stadium+fills+up+before+the+Sept.+1+game+against+Cal+Poly.++
Manuel Hernandez
Valley Children’s Stadium fills up before the Sept. 1 game against Cal Poly.

The-quarter-of-a-billion dollar Fresno State Athletics campaign was in the works for four years before university officials announced it. Elevate, which was announced late last semester, was set up to improve the facilities and venues that host the Bulldogs’ matches. The multi-year plan will tackle 13 different projects, with one being completed and another in progress

What’s the progress? 

Throughout the summer, the east side suites of Valley Children’s Stadium have been renovated in preparation for the 2023 football season. 

Frank Pucher, the senior associate athletics director for external relations, shared how that project is wrapping up before the Sept. 9 home-opener. 

“The first phase, suite renovation, is being completed now. Will be done prior to the first game. That included a $1M renovation of the suites, which includes all new windows that open (previously couldn’t open), new seats, new TVs, new Wi-Fi in each suite, etc.,” he said in a text message.

The suites brought in approximately $600,000 during the 2022 football season. 

A detailed timeline has yet to be announced because funds haven’t been raised yet, but the plan will be done in different phases depending on the funding acquired and the approvals that are placed.

Measure E

Although the Elevate plan is set to be funded mainly by private support, the university is also aiming for a new version of Measure E that will be on the March 2024 ballot. 

Measure E, a proposed 0.2% countywide sales tax that would have brought Fresno State an estimated $36 million per year for the next 20 years, needed a simple majority of 50% plus one vote to pass on the 2022 ballot.

Of the 149,062 votes cast, 53.49% of voters said no.

The newly amended measure for the 2024 ballot has established a 0.25% sales tax for 25 years, according to the San Joaquin Valley Sun. It is projected to bring in $56.1 million annually and $1.403 billion for the lifetime of the proposition. 

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval shared with The Collegian back in May that there are three main resources to fund the Elevate plan: CSU funding, private donations and Measure E.

“The project priority and phasing of the overall plan will be predicted on revenue streams available through CSU financing and private support as well as significant funding that could come from the proposed ballot measure,” Jiménez-Sandoval said.

According to the university, Fresno State officials aren’t legally able to endorse Measure E, but Fresno State’s Athletic Director, Terry Tumey, shared what it could do if it passed.

“Everything that this university touches would be enhanced through that concept of Measure E, and athletics would be a part of that,” he said in a May interview with the Collegian. “You know, it truly could be the starter kit, the impetus to greatness for this university.”

Tumey shared that the Elevate project has been in the works for well over four years and initially started by evaluating the different athletic programs by how they operate along with the experience of the students. 

That then led the plan’s creators to also evaluate the supporting features to the programs, which are the facilities, and is what ultimately drove them to begin the plan. 

Tumey said that nothing was released until May because university officials recognized the importance of needing to be fiscally responsible and having a set plan. 

What are the benefits? 

Conference realignment has been a hot topic of conversation, especially when it comes to the Elevate campaign and whether it is being done to improve Fresno State’s chances to get into a Power Five conference. Jiménez-Sandoval and Tumey both discussed the issue.

“Any time we can show investment in our students and facilities, it helps us be successful in competition, enhance our offering to fans and further advance our brand nationally, but the Elevate campaign was not created as a result of any conference realignment possibilities nor is it a tactic related to realignment discussions,” Jiménez-Sandoval said. 

“I know everyone likes to say that, and it does enhance that. I would be foolish to say that it doesn’t enhance it. But this is not about conference realignment. This is what Fresno State needs in order for it to be a viable and sustainable institution, both athletically and academically,” Tumey said. 

Tumey said that all students would have a great experience at Fresno State, not just the student athletes. He explained that alumni or current students who attend games will feel good about being in the venues and proud to be a Bulldog. 

He also added that the students who aren’t too involved in the athletic scene should still support the Elevate campaign because they are still a part of the Fresno State community and because the success of the athletic department brings value to the university.

Whether you support the campaign or not it is certain that the plan will take years to complete and lots of support from the community in order to be successful. 

$100
$500