About us

Hye Sharzhoom is a supplement of The Collegian and the newspaper of the Fresno State Armenian Students Organization and the Armenian Studies Program and is funded by the Associated Students. Articles may be reprinted provided Hye Sharzhoom is acknowledged. Hye Sharzhoom welcomes prose, poetry, articles and other material from its student readers.

For further information concerning the newspaper or the Armenian Studies Program:

Armenian Studies Program
5245 N. Backer Ave. PB4
Fresno, CA 93740-8001
Telephone (559) 278-2669

Current issue
Hye Sharzhoom

Tigran Hamasyan Trio Performs in Keyboard Concert Series

ASP Archive
Left to right: Dr. Michael Krikorian, Evan Marien, Arthur Hnatek, Tigran Hamasyan, Prof. Barlow Der Mugrdechian, and Keyboard Concert director Andreas Werz.

Musician and jazz artist Tigran Hamasyan was introduced to music from a young age. In an interview from the podcast Rearrange with Narek Amirkhanyan, Hamasyan said “even when I was in my mother’s womb, my father would play a lot of music, especially rock. And I don’t have a recollection of when I started. I just know that there was always music in the house.”

On Monday, March 25, 2024, Tigran Hamasyan performed in Fresno State’s Keyboard Concert series. The concert was co-sponsored by the Armenian Studies Program of Fresno State, the Thomas A. Kooyumjian Family Foundation, the Armenian General Benevolent Union Greater Fresno Chapter, the Helen Zevart Peterson Armenian Fund, and Fresno State Jazz Studies.

“Tigran Hamasyan and his Trio gave an exhilarating performance in front of a sold-out audience of three-hundred,” said Andreas Werz, director of the Keyboard Concert series. “A virtuoso pianist, I consider him the most creative force of his generation, synthesizing jazz and Armenian folk material. This is exactly why I wanted Hamasyan to again be a part of the Keyboard Concert series. The series is known for regularly presenting world-class artists, and Hamasyan fits exactly into that category.”

Tigran Hamasyan, left, with Evan Marien and Arthur Hnatek.

Hamasyan had an electric performance, playing music from his album “The Call Within,” accompanied by drummer Arthur Hnatek and bassist Evan Marien. Hamasyan’s distinct style was showcased through every piece performed. His unconventional rhythms and beats, blended with his vocalizations, created an ambiance in the concert hall that was beautiful, loud, eerie, jazzy and hypnotizing.

Hamasyan’s performance left a big impact on the audience. As he performed, audience members near the front of the concert hall nodded in appreciation, tapping their feet to the rhythm. In one memorable moment, Hamasyan seamlessly integrated vocalization with his piano playing and gestured to the audience to join him. To everyone’s delight, the hall was filled with voices effortlessly blending together, somehow knowing which pitches to hum. Every voice found its place, creating an enchanting atmosphere. With their enthusiastic applause, the audience called Hamasyan and his group back for an encore.

Hamasyan was born in Gyumri, Armenia in 1987, where he was exposed to a wide array of music. He began playing piano at the age of three, and started performing in festivals at the age of eleven.

Hamasyan has a unique and daring style. According to his online bio he “fuses potent jazz improvisation and progressive rock with the rich folkloric music of his native Armenia.” Some of his recent awards and recognitions include winning the “Echo Jazz Award” for International Piano Instrumentalist of the Year (2015).

Hamasyan’s newest album, “Bird of a Thousand Voices” will debut in August of 2024.