About us

Hye Sharzhoom is a supplement of The Collegian and the newspaper of the Fresno State Armenian Students Organization and the Armenian Studies Program and is funded by the Associated Students. Articles may be reprinted provided Hye Sharzhoom is acknowledged. Hye Sharzhoom welcomes prose, poetry, articles and other material from its student readers.

For further information concerning the newspaper or the Armenian Studies Program:

Armenian Studies Program
5245 N. Backer Ave. PB4
Fresno, CA 93740-8001
Telephone (559) 278-2669

Current issue
Hye Sharzhoom

Congratulations Armenian Studies Minors and Graduating Seniors of 2023-2024

ASP+Minors
ASP Archive
ASP Minors
Sara Beberian

Sara Beberian

Business Administration-Marketing

Minor in Armenian Studies

What encouraged you to take an Armenian Studies course?

It came naturally for me to want to take Armenian courses – it was not even a question. I was so happy to see that they were offered at Fresno State. As a Charlie Keyan Armenian Community School alumna, I was excited for the opportunity to further my Armenian education and learn more about my history and culture.

What was your favorite Armenian Studies class, activity, or event?

It is so hard for me to choose a favorite Armenian studies course. I learned so much from all of them. The ones I recall most now are Armenian History, Arts of Armenia, and the literature courses. It is vital to know one’s personal history, and it felt amazing to learn the stories of my ancestors. With Prof. Barlow, it felt less like class and more like story time, where we were able to learn about interesting battles and pivotal moments in our history. When it came to the Arts of Armenia courses, I loved learning about church architecture that has survived thousands of years, our ancestors were geniuses! I also loved learning about the famous Armenian poets and writers – it was amazing to me how I could relate to their works generations later.

What did you value most from your experiences in the Armenian Studies Program?

As an Armenian, I most valued the opportunity to learn about our history, language, and culture. Because of genocides in the past and the present, the Armenian people are constantly under threat. The Armenian Studies Program gave me more tools to better equip myself as a keeper of Armenian heritage, and that is invaluable to me.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to start working in my field with my Business Marketing Degree. After I gain some experience, I will come back to Fresno State for my Masters. I also recently got engaged, so I am excited to get married and to travel!

Simon Sislian (ASP Archive)

Simon Sislian

Agricultural Business

Minor in Armenian Studies

I decided to take Armenian Studies courses because I am Armenian and come from a family that was directly impacted by the Armenian Genocide. Having grown up hearing about the Armenian Studies Program at Fresno State and understanding its significance, I always knew I wanted to take the opportunity to enroll in these courses. I wanted to further explore my heritage with the guidance of the great professors in the Program. This opportunity to obtain the Armenian Studies Minor felt invaluable to me.

Although I enjoyed every course, my favorite one were the Armenian language courses. I grew up hearing my grandparents speak Armenian, so being able to proficiently read, write, and speak in Armenian was a very memorable part of my college experience. Our Armenian Studies Program stands out from all others. There was never a dull moment in Prof. Barlow’s Armenian classes, and I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to take these classes with him.

I had the opportunity to understand of the importance of my roots. This has allowed me to reflect on what being a “Proud Armenian” means. All of the courses I took in the Program and the friendships I formed through ASO are something I will always be grateful for when reflecting on my time at Fresno State.

What are your plans after graduation?

I will work with my family farming raisins and to secure a farm management position. These experiences within the agriculture industry will allow me to achieve my goal of being able to farm on my own and with my family’s business.

Hannah Paloutzian (ASP Archive)

Hannah Paloutzian

Agricultural Business

Minor in Armenian Studies

I decided to take the courses because I am Armenian, and I knew that most colleges do not have Armenian Studies courses, so I knew I wanted to take advantage of this opportunity and learn about my heritage.

My favorite course was Armenian Studies 108B, which covered modern Armenian history. It was very interesting to learn about the history and there was so much to learn about.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to attend San Joaquin College of Law in Clovis, California, starting in August. I am very excited about this new endeavor and am grateful for all I learned at Fresno State in the Armenian Studies Program.

Gevorg Abelyan (ASP Archive)

Gevorg Abelyan

Communication

Minor in Armenian Studies

My brother was pursuing a Minor in Armenian Studies and introduced me to Prof. Barlow. I was intrigued by some of the Armenian Studies classes offered.

My favorite class was Armenian History 108A, which is about the ancient and medieval history of historical Armenia.

While I did not participate in that many events, I was fascinated by the content taught in the classes.

Christa Eritzian (ASP Archive)

Christa Eritzian

Communication Science-Speech Pathology

Minor in Armenian Studies

My favorite was Armenian Studies 120T – Topics in Armenian Studies. To fulfill the requirements for this course, I traveled to Armenia with Prof. Der Mugrdechian and learned about Armenian history, experienced Armenian culture, and saw Armenian artifacts, churches, paintings and sculptures.

My education has given me the opportunity to immerse myself in the Western Armenian dialect. With this, I am able to further connect with the Fresno Armenian community.

What are your plans after graduation?

I will begin the two-year Speech-Language Pathology graduate program at Fresno State in the Fall semester of 2024.

Mary Topoozian (ASP Archive)

Mary Topoozian

Biology

Minor in Armenian Studies

Growing up in the Armenian community, I always wanted to learn more about my culture, history, and language. Speaking the language was one of the biggest factors for taking Armenian classes and ultimately pursuing a Minor. Completing these courses has helped me gain a profound appreciation for being Armenian.

My favorite class was Armenian Studies 20, the Arts of Armenia. Throughout this course, I learned about the different architectural designs of churches and the meaning of the art on manuscripts, paintings, and sculptures. Each Sunday, in church, I think back to what I have learned and the significance and importance of the church architecture.

Through these courses, I have been able to connect and relate to other students who share a common passion for Armenian culture and heritage. By being involved in this Program and the Armenian Students Organization, I have been able to form lifelong friendships.

What are your plans after graduation?

I will be attending the University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, in San Francisco in July to become a dentist. After my education, I plan on coming back to Fresno to practice.

Gabriella Nishanian (ASP Archive)

Gabriella Nishanian

Kinesiology-Exercise Science

Minor in Armenian Studies

After attending the Charlie Keyan Armenian Community School, I knew that if an opportunity to take an Armenian class ever came around, I would want to take it. I was fortunate enough to attend a college that had Armenian classes, which allowed me to further my education in Armenian history and language.

My favorite class was probably Armenian Studies 10, Introduction to Armenian Studies, with Dr. Ohanessian. I loved learning about the modern history of Armenia and his lectures kept me wanting to learn more. I looked forward to the lectures and also loved to participate in discussions that took place in the class.

I was able to take Armenian classes with classmates from the Keyan School. I also valued the time and effort both Prof. Barlow and Prof. Ohanessian put into their lectures to give us the most knowledge and information. I learned so much and am thankful I got to take classes from both professors.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to attend Physical Therapy school and get my doctorate in Physical Therapy. I want to work with athletes and hope to one day work for a professional sports team. I also plan to take some time to travel and explore places I have never been before.

Arshak Abelyan

Arshak Abelyan

Liberal Studies

Minor in Armenian Studies

The development of my individual identity is what stimulated my desire to take part in Armenian Studies courses. Whether that was the knowledge and understanding of the history, language, art, faith, and/or tradition; all of it was reaching a point that required initiative in order to preserve what was still left. This is what pushed me to center myself around a community of Armenians, or even those simply just interested in the Armenian Studies courses. Ultimately, it was about exposing myself to the educational opportunities available that would, in hindsight, bring me closer to my Armenian identity.

I truly valued the exposure to the various events and lectures that were organized by the Armenian Studies Program. Having the opportunity to participate in the Hye Sharzhoom newspaper allowed me to interact with many of the prominent Armenian leaders and academics from all around the world in a unique perspective. However, it would be incredibly unfair if I failed to acknowledge the most valuable experience I had in the program, which was the interaction, guidance, and support from Prof. Barlow Der Mugrdechian.

My favorite classes were the Armenian history (Armenian Studies 108A and 108B) classes that delved deep into the Ancient and Medieval period of Armenian history and also the Modern and Contemporary period of Armenian history.

What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to continue to elevate in my current career path with the County of Fresno and attain a position of leadership.