Prepare for the dark, funny world of John Waters’ ‘Devil’s Advocate’ at historic Tower Theatre

Photo courtesy of John Waters
John Waters performs his stand-up comedy act “Devil’s Advocate” at the Tower Theatre on March 29.

From fashion to politics to sexuality, filmmaker and comedian John Waters will be talking about it all during his “Devil’s Advocate” stand-up show at the Tower Theatre in Fresno’s Tower District.

Back in November, the Tower Theatre shared on Instagram that Waters was going to be coming to Fresno and performing on March 29 at 8 p.m.

Waters has used comedy to express a range of topics including self-identity, rebellion and reminding audiences to love themselves since the 1970’s. These themes were prominent in his films, “Pink Flamingos,” “Female Trouble,” and other transgressive cult films.

“Comedy has saved my life,” Waters told The Collegian. “I’ve been beat up in high school because I had more hatred of authority than the bullies did.”

Growing up in Baltimore, Maryland, Waters has had an eye for filmmaking since the 1960s, after getting kicked out of New York University for smoking marijuana. When completing his first feature film “Mondo Trasho,” in 1969, his love for shocking audiences with counter-cultural subjects was born.

Along with directing, Waters has hit the stages with his stand-up comedy sessions since the early 2000s, traveling around the world with his shock humor.

He said that his audience can expect a little bit of everything for the upcoming show.

“I talk about sexual revolution; I talk about fashion; I talk about facts; I talk about everything. I hope that they laugh at things that they haven’t been able to laugh about,” Waters said.

Waters shared his familiarity with Fresno, even sharing his knowledge of the local all-girl punk band Fatty Cakes and the Puff Pastries. Fatty Cakes and the Puff Pastries are scheduled to perform at John Water’s Pre-Party on the same day as his show.

“I guess I went [to Fresno] right before the pandemic. I used to drive across the country and go different routes and I loved doing that,” Waters said. “I came up here through LA and San Francisco. I love to meet different people in different cities to be in touch with my audiences, so I’m looking forward to performing here.”

Tickets for John Waters’ “Devil’s Advocate,” can be purchased here.