About us
The Asian Pacific Review is one of four ethnic supplements published within The Collegian, Fresno State’s student-run newspaper. APR is the Asian and Pacific Islander voice on campus writing about issues that are important to students in the AAPI community. Catch up on previous issues of APR at fscollegian.com/ethnic or visit our Facebook page @aprfresno. If you have questions, comments or a story idea, please email editor-in- chief Valentino Di Pietro Hernandez at [email protected].
Nubci Her in traditional Hmong clothing. Photo provided by Nubci Her
Hmong American sophomore pursues passion in acting
Mar 22, 2024
This black and white photo taken in May 1982 shows Japanese manga artist Akira Toriyama, whose death was announced on March 8, 2024. Publishing house Shueisha said in a statement that it was greatly saddened by the sudden news of his death. The 68-year-old was the author of the hugely popular and influential titles Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.  (STR/JIJI Press/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)
Remembering Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama
Mar 22, 2024
Photo by Andre Avila-Villanueva/Asian Pacific Review.
Fresno State Art History Club’s first collaboration with the zoo
Mar 11, 2024

Fresno Chaffee Zoo’s New Lunar Year celebration

Photo taken by Andre Avila-Villanueva

The Fresno Chaffee Zoo celebrated the Lunar New Year by hosting a special “IllumiNature Lunar New Year Celebration” event on Feb. 10 to honor the cultural history of Asia while ushering in hope for a luck-filled new year. 

This is the year of the dragon, one of the main focuses of the celebration. In Chinese culture, the dragon is one of the 12 zodiac animals symbolizing good fortune, power and prosperity. Being born in the year of the dragon exudes characteristics of charisma, sharp intellect, confidence and power. 

With these symbolic attributes in mind, the Fresno Chaffee Zoo displayed a life-sized dragons with golden scales and a brightly colored face radiating confidence and power throughout the IllumiNature event. 

IlluminNature is a special cultural holiday event that the Fresno Chaffee Zoo holds every year to display the culture of Asia to the community of Fresno. As the name suggests it brings illumination of nature throughout the zoo. 

With decorated pathways of handmade Chinese lanterns and colorful animal and plant-shaped themed lanterns lit up the zoo at night in celebration of the Lunar New Year. 

Through the pathways you not only see the decorations but also hear the sounds of joy from the guests as they admired the illuminated displays. 

Photo taken by Andre Avila-Villanueva

Going down one of the many illuminated paths, you can reach the zoo’s newest exhibit, Kingdoms of Asia, where artwork from local artists and bonsai trees were on display. 

The exhibit, themed after the Buddhist temple Angkor Wat in Cambodia, was the backdrop for paintings, statues and more created by artists like Fresno State students Olivia Myracle and Miguel Gamez-Macias who are members of the Art History Club at Fresno State. This was their first year participating with the Fresno Chaffee Zoo.

The Clark Bonsai Collection from the Shinzen Friendship Garden at Woodward Park was also there. Members showed bonsai trees and educated festival goers about how the use of copper wire along the branches allows the tree to grow and mold itself into the desired shape.

Photo taken by Joey Larios

The Illuminature Lunar New Year Celebration also featured cultural dance performances throughout the day. The event went into  the night so families could enjoy the large lantern display  and see them light up in the dark.