About us
The Asian Pacific Review is one of four ethnic supplements published within The Collegian, Fresno State’s student-run newspaper. APR is the Asian and Pacific Islander voice on campus writing about issues that are important to students in the AAPI community. Catch up on previous issues of APR at fscollegian.com/ethnic or visit our Facebook page @aprfresno. If you have questions, comments or a story idea, please email editor-in- chief Valentino Di Pietro Hernandez at [email protected].
Nubci Her in traditional Hmong clothing. Photo provided by Nubci Her
Hmong American sophomore pursues passion in acting
Mar 22, 2024
This black and white photo taken in May 1982 shows Japanese manga artist Akira Toriyama, whose death was announced on March 8, 2024. Publishing house Shueisha said in a statement that it was greatly saddened by the sudden news of his death. The 68-year-old was the author of the hugely popular and influential titles Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.  (STR/JIJI Press/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)
Remembering Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama
Mar 22, 2024
Photo by Andre Avila-Villanueva/Asian Pacific Review.
Fresno State Art History Club’s first collaboration with the zoo
Mar 11, 2024
Asian Pacific Review

TNS
This black and white photo taken in May 1982 shows Japanese manga artist Akira Toriyama, whose death was announced on March 8, 2024. Publishing house Shueisha said in a statement that it was “greatly saddened by the sudden news of his death.” The 68-year-old was the author of the hugely popular and influential titles “Dragon Ball” and “Dragon Ball Z”. (STR/JIJI Press/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)

Akira Toriyama famed for being the creator of Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest and the widely popular Dragon Ball Franchise passed away at age 68 on March 1.

Since the release of the original Dragon Ball franchise in 1984, the series continues following the adventures of Goku and the Z warriors in the still running Dragon Ball Super. The Dragon Ball franchise spawned video games, theatrically released films and collaborations with different companies in varying industries. Goku has become a worldwide recognizable character that has even been featured as a recurring balloon float in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Dragon Ball series will celebrate its 40th anniversary this winter and additional plans have been announced for future stories involving the created universe.

News of the famed manga creator’s death was made public on March 8 and has since gained an overwhelming reception of grief and appreciation for his achievements. Fellow popular manga creators like Eiichiro Oda of One Piece, Masashi Kishimoto of Naruto, and Tite Kubo of Bleach, paid tribute to their late friend and early inspiration in the industry. 

Fans from all over the world including artists, influencers, celebrities and foreign political leaders  took to social media to share their condolences and memories with the widely acclaimed mangaka. More than 20,000 fans in Buenos Aires, Argentina gathered to pay tribute to  Toriyama by reenacting Goku’s iconic signature move — the Spirit Bomb.

The Seiyu Awards ceremony honoring achievements in the anime industry held in Japan on March 9 acknowledged Toriyama in a moment of silence for their work. Cartoon Network’s Toonami, the original television channel that hosted Toriyama’s famed series, announced that they would commemorate and honor the creator by airing a marathon of Dragon Ball Z episodes beginning March 16. The network credits its success to Toriyama’s popular works. 

Fresno State students and fans of Toriyama’s work shared their feelings on the loss.

“Toriyama’s influence is immeasurable, spanning across the art style of myself and many other fans of his work. He is one of the main reasons I have a passion for storytelling. I hope my work may touch as many hearts as Toriyama-sensei has. May he rest peacefully,” said Jared Diaz, a senior majoring in creative writing.

Students interested in Japanese animation and art can connect with the Fresno State Anime Club on Instagram and Discord.