Fresno State golf faces challenges in Ocean Course tournament

Fresno+State+golfer%2C+Ryan+Firpo+swings+in+tournament.+
Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics
Fresno State golfer, Ryan Firpo swings in tournament.

The Fresno State men’s golf team had a rough start at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate in Hawaii from  Feb. 15-17. The ‘Dogs battled through harsh weather conditions to secure 10th place out of 20 teams. 

The Bulldogs were coming off a seventh-place finish in the Arizona National Intercollegiate Tournament where they carded a 27 under 837. Senior Matthew Manganello led the ‘Dogs with a 10-under par finish. 

Junior Joseph Lloyd ended Round 1 of the tournament with the lowest score of 3-under, carding five birdies and one eagle. Senior Matthew Sutherland was right behind him with a 1-under score. These two would continue to lead the team throughout the tournament. 

In Round 2, the team faced extreme wind conditions. Lloyd, however, didn’t let that hinder his game and finished the round with the leading score in the tournament of 8-under par. Sutherland stayed consistent, shooting another 1-under-par score with five birdies in the round. 

Sutherland continued to play well in the final round and shot his best score of 70 in the tournament. Lloyd, on the other hand, struggled in the last round, carding a 7-over par score with two double bogeys on the back nine. 

The ‘Dogs finished with a score of 872, 7-over par. 

Sutherland had the lowest score of the team with a 4 under 212 score and tied at 8th. Lloyd tied for 23rd at 1-under par. Freshman Ryan Firpo and Manganello both finished with individual scores of 7-over par. Sophomore Mason Benbrook carded a 15-over par 231. 

The ‘Dogs will travel to Chula Vista, California, to compete in the San Diego Classic for their next March 4-5 tournament.