Black Student Success Initiative spreads love on Valentine’s Day

Jacqueline Carrillo/ The Collegian
The Black Student Success Initiative hosted a “Love is in the air” event on Feb. 14. The event was held to spread Valentine’s Day love in the free speech area at Fresno State.

Fresno State students felt the love in the air with free food and gifts on Valentine’s Day.

“Love is in the Air,” an event hosted by the Black Student Success Initiative alongside Off-Campus Student Life and the Cross Cultural and Gender Center, was presented on Feb. 14 in the Free Speech Area at Fresno State.

The event took place from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. with the purpose of celebrating Valentine’s Day. The event offered a variety of delicious treats with the hope to boost morale and lift the spirits of those in attendance.

“This event is to celebrate Valentine’s Day while giving out cultural treats to the public,” said Curtis Witherspoon, the administrative support coordinator of BSSI. “Just being able to help out the students with a nice morale boost during the week between classes.”

The event was in collaboration with local vendors such as BranSweeTreats, whose peach cobblers were fairly popular with those attending the event.

“Peach cobbler came in warm and in a mason jar. These are very high quality treats that we were given out too,” Witherspoon said.

Sweet Cakes By Tay, another local vendor, offered sweets such as cupcakes, cake and cookies.

Other treats provided by the event included red velvet cupcakes, gift baskets and Valentine’s Day giveaways.

The treats were free of charge and the only requirement was registering through a QR code for proof of being a Fresno State student.

“It’s super nice that they’re putting it on for students,” said Andria Chandler, a student at Fresno State.

One of the event’s goals was to bring awareness to programs and services that can be beneficial to Fresno State students.

“The collaboration that we made was definitely targeted to try to engage commuter students,” said Jerry Gomez, coordinator of Off-Campus Student Life. “It definitely serves the campus to not only provide a snack or a giveaway, but to inform the programs that exist to support them.”

The event encouraged engagement within the Fresno State student population. Students walking away with gift baskets and giveaways motivated others to check it out.

“I found out about the event because I was seeing people with gift baskets,” said Cristhy Olivera, a Fresno State student.

BSSI will be hosting its next event, “Dip and Paint,” on Feb. 16 at the Conley Art building from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.

$100
$500