Water polo Preview: Fresno State set to host Polo-Palooza tournament

Utility+player+Brooke+Ochoa+looks+to+throw+the+ball+at+the+Aquatics+Center+on+March+18%2C+2023.+
Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian
Utility player Brooke Ochoa looks to throw the ball at the Aquatics Center on March 18, 2023.

The Fresno State women’s water polo team is scheduled to begin its 2024 season today in the Polo-Palooza tournament at the Aquatics Center.

The No. 9 ranked Bulldogs will make their season debut against the No. 13 Michigan Wolverines at 3 p.m.

They will play their second match later today at 7:30 p.m. against No. 11 UC Davis.

Fresno State was voted as the favorite in this year’s preseason poll as most likely to win the Golden Coast Conference Championship.

The ‘Dogs finished last season with an overall record of 18-9 and an undefeated 7-0 conference record. Fresno State captured its third straight GCC title before seeing its 2023 season come to an end after falling 12-8 to the University of Southern California in the NCAA tournament.

Despite it being a new season, the Bulldogs have impactful returning players such as goalie Paula Nieto Jasny, utility player Brooke Ochoa and attackers Cynthia Rosa and Hailey Andress.

All four were key players in Fresno State’s third consecutive tournament championship conquest.

Jasny kept the Bulldog defense strong, recording a total of 211 saves last season, while Rosa scored 22 goals and recorded 13 assists for Fresno State.

Ochoa was Fresno State’s key player on offense last season. She scored 60 goals, gave 32 assists and was selected as the 2023 GCC Player of the Year.

Andress scored 49 goals in her freshman season and was selected the GCC Newcomer of the Year.

With several returners this season, Fresno State is seeking to win its fourth consecutive GCC title this season.