CMAC provides a realm of media resources to the community

Blake Wolf/The Collegian
CMAC building located at 1555 Van Ness Ave #201. The non-profit organization serves as an harbor of resources for anyone in the media industry.

The Community Media Access Collaborative (CMAC) has kicked off the year by introducing multiple changes for its members. The most notable is the price change, which rose for the first time since 2012.

The Fresno-based nonprofit organization, committed to connecting the community through the use of media, cited ongoing inflation as the reasoning behind the change in price.

“This decision stems from our commitment to fairness and sustainability,” said Natalie Nigg, CMAC’s marketing and development manager. “Our pricing has remained unchanged since we opened in 2012, and we are hopeful this shift will help us keep up with the rising costs of maintaining our valuable community resources.”

The organization restructured their membership options into a single. “pay-what-you-can” model that has a minimum contribution of $40 paid annually. The change will not affect current members until they choose to renew at the end of their current membership.

CMAC is a central component for Fresno State students and anyone in the community interested in producing their own media content. The services provided by CMAC range from equipment rentals to the use of production studios.

“Honestly, it’s so underrated. I feel like it’s a great place to learn about producing content and working with people that know a lot more than you,” said Ben Guerrero, a third-year Fresno State student. “I’ve been able to produce some cool personal projects that I never would have been able to do on my own.”

Despite majoring in business administration, Guerrero had an interest in producing video content. He credits CMAC for giving him the means to create his projects.

“I had taken an introduction to filmmaking class my freshman year and was able to use some cameras. So my first impression of CMAC was that it was mainly an equipment checkout,” Guerrero said. “But once I began visiting and talking with everyone, I realized we could use studios and help out with other people’s projects.”

Guerrero became a CMAC member in February 2023 and has utilized its studios and equipment for nearly a year. Regardless of the new newly implemented changes, he said his decision to extend his membership is an easy one.

“I’m definitely going to renew my membership. Even if it’s $40 minimum, it’s totally worth it in my opinion,” Guerrero said. “With the amount of projects I’ve worked on since I became a member, I’m willing to pay more to help them out.”

In addition to the changes in membership pricing, CMAC has also fully integrated an online reservation system for both equipment and studio rentals. Members can now view the various items and availability in an entirely virtual setting.

CMAC also offers tutorials and workshops its members can attend for free. These are led by industry professionals who cover subjects such as podcasting and cinematography.

“The workshop on beginning a podcast was the one I’ve liked the most so far,” said Marco Espinoza, a Fresno State alumnus. “I remember attending one after I had tried starting my own podcast and just feeling like I had a revelation.”

Espinoza graduated from Fresno State in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in business marketing. Now residing in Bakersfield, CA, he is using what he’s learned to help produce other local podcasts.

“Getting to use the podcast equipment at the [CMAC] studio was great. It’s what originally inspired me to get my own setup and create a business to help people make their own content,” Espinoza said.

Although he’s no longer a member, Espinoza emphasized the importance of CMAC’s presence within the community.

“I haven’t been a member for years, but I’m a big believer in CMAC and all the things it provides. I feel like if you’re a Fresno State student and you’re interested in online media at all, it’s a great place to start. Definitely give it a chance,” he said.