Women’s volleyball falls short to Utah State as they edge conference play

Brooke+Cowie+gets+a+dig+to+keep+the+ball+in+play+as+Dionii+Fraga+and+Head+Coach+Leisa+Rosen+look.+
David Victor/The Collegian
Brooke Cowie gets a dig to keep the ball in play as Dionii Fraga and Head Coach Leisa Rosen look.

Fresno State women’s volleyball will have to determine the outcome of its playoff bid this weekend after falling at home 3-1 against Utah State on Nov. 16.

Currently holding fifth place in the Mountain West with a 10-7 record (16-12 overall), the possibility of playing in the postseason hangs in the balance.

Despite falling in four sets, Head Coach Leisa Rosen said she liked what she saw from her team against the Aggies.

“I think we played well. We didn’t play consistent enough but that’s also the number one team in our conference, and I think we did a great job. We need to be more consistent,” Rosen said.

Fresno State began the match with the momentum in its favor, winning the first set 26-24.

For a moment it looked like that would continue into the second set as the Bulldogs at one point were leading by 6 points, but Utah State rallied to cut the deficit and turn it around to win the set 25-22.

From this point forward, the Aggies took control as the Bulldogs’ momentum began to slow down.

Utah State made it 2-1 after taking the third set 25-22.

In the fourth set, the Bulldogs earned the first point, but then Utah State earned seven points in a row, taking a comfortable 7-1 point lead.

Addison Haluska attempts a block against Utah State. (David Victor/The Collegian)

Fresno State recovered from the deficit and momentarily caught up to the Aggies to make it 12-12 at one point.

The Bulldogs fought hard to stay in the match, but eventually, Utah State’s offense prevailed and took the fourth and final set 25-21 to secure the victory.

Fresno State was unable to pick up the win despite registering 56 kills, one more than Utah State which racked up 55.

Outside hitter Ella Rud led the offense and had the most number of kills in the match with 17.

Libero Dionii Fraga was the team’s leader on defense with 20 digs.

The Bulldogs will remain at home to end the regular season on an important Senior Day match against Boise State.

Not only will the team honor its seniors, but they will also seek to defeat the Broncos (9-8 MW) to secure their spot in the postseason.

Rosen said she wants her team to perform as well as it did against the Aggies to compete for a spot in the Mountain West Championship tournament.

“We needed to be a little bit cleaner and more consistent, and I anticipate that we’re going to come out and play great,” Rosen said.

The match will take place on Saturday, Nov. 18 at the Save Mart Center. First serve is at 1 p.m.