Town Hall meeting emphasizes mission statement of the Division of Equity and Engagement

Jayronan Vanthy
Rashanda Booker, university diversity officer speaks about the mission statement of the Division of Equity and Engagement. The Town Hall was held on Nov. 2 at 10 a.m. in the Table Mountain Rancheria Reading room in the Library.

The Fall 2023 Town Hall was hosted by the Division of Equity and Engagement in the Table Mountain Rancheria Reading room in the Library on Thursday, Nov. 2.

The Town Hall highlighted the accomplishments that the Division of Equity and Engagement has achieved, discussed future plans of action and spotlighted available resources for students.

One noteworthy achievement that was discussed was that Fresno State received a Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award for the 10th consecutive year. The HEED Award recognizes schools and universities that are committed to inclusion and diversity.

The event started with the University Diversity Officer, Rashanda R. Booker, paying homage to the Native American people and culture of the San Joaquin Valley by offering a land acknowledgment.

“The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley. Rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and culture. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land,” Booker said.

Booker went on to discuss the mission statement of the equity and engagement division.

“Align our mission and actions through meaningful accountability measures and data to ensure progress on goals related to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging,” she said.

Booker added that she wants to make the mission statement a reality for Fresno State and the campus community.

Booker highlighted the different councils that have been implemented since her arrival:

The Town Hall gave more insight into resources available where individuals can learn more about changing the culture at Fresno State.

“Individuals can go to and go to equity.fresnostate.edu and learn about microaggressions, learn about Islamophobia, learn about these things in your own way, and also be able to engage with different types of media. You can read a book, you can watch a clip, you can learn more on your own time, and that is how we change culture,” Booker said.

Booker elaborated on the Bulldogs Belong campaign, a digital campaign that invites the campus community to share their personal experiences with equity, diversity and inclusion.

Students and other faculty members voiced their concerns over different issues that some individuals feel need to be addressed.

One student asked a question about the rise of Islamophobia that some members of the campus community are experiencing.

Terree Stevenson, dean of students, responded and said students are always welcome to talk to her about anything.

“If there’s a student who has a concern or complaint, is experiencing any type of intimidation, harassment, is feeling isolated and is looking for resources, both on and off campus. They are welcome to come to the office, They’re welcome to email me. They’re also welcome to file a student complaint and we will walk them through as well as work with that student,” she said.

Booker said the university denounces any harassment or hate speech of any kind.

“We have sent out different media denouncing it. We also have posted across campus what our principles of community are on campus, but we also know that because we are not in every aspect of the campus, if individuals see something, they should speak up. So we are denouncing, as we have done before, that any hate speech, any harassment, any of those things are not a part of our principle of community,” Booker said. “If those things are still happening, we encourage people to let us know because if there’s something else that we need to be doing, we’re more than happy to address that.”