Women’s volleyball sweeps Wyoming, extending win streak to four

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Junior Sydney Gazzaniga #7 celebrates after a point against Wyoming on Oct. 21, at the Save Mart Center.

The Fresno State volleyball team has won four games in a row, two of which were sweeps. One of those dominant victories happened on Oct. 21 against the Wyoming Cowgirls at the Save Mart Center.

The team is now 6-4 in conference and stands in fifth place in the Mountain West Conference. Head Coach Leisa Rosen shared what they have been working on in practice that translates into the court. 

“I think the biggest thing that we’ve been working on is growing their volleyball IQ and that from when we started in January until now, we’ve seen amazing improvements. They’re getting stronger. They’re very fit. All of the things that we expect from our student athletes they’re doing, but their volleyball IQ is growing exponentially,” Rosen said. 

In the first set, the ‘Dogs and the Cowgirls opened up the game evenly, going back-and-forth on the court for a score of 3-3. Wyoming then made three consecutive points, knocking them into the lead. 

They continued to go head-to-head, but Wyoming ultimately got the upper hand, causing the Bulldogs to take a timeout when they were down by four. 

The timeout seemed to work, as the ‘Dogs made five straight points, giving them a 1 point lead, 14-13. 

Lots of movement was showcased on both sides of the court, keeping the scoreboard tied at 17-17. 

Movement on the court continued, but after a long rally, Addison Haluska got a kill into the back row, giving Fresno State enough momentum to take a 23-19 lead. 

Junior Ella Rud #8 (right) and Sydney Gazzaniga #7 (left) keep their eye on the ball in attempt to get a dig. (Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)

The Cowgirls were able to cut it back down to a 1 point deficit at 24-23, but a kill by Ella Rud gave the ‘Dogs the win for the first set. 

“We’ve been working really hard on defense, covering all that stuff. So to be able to be competent in the air and just know that your back row has you, then that makes all the difference in the whole world,” Rud said. 

The same trend continued in the second set as Fresno State and Wyoming battled through an even score, 4-4. 

Blocks and kills from Kasey Purry and Grace Doyle allowed Fresno State to get its largest lead by far at 14-7; Wyoming called a timeout to regroup. 

Fresno State extended its lead by nine, inching closer to another win at 22-13. 

Bulldog Brooke Cowie sneakily hit the ball over the net, putting them in set point territory. A block by Purry sealed the second set win at 25-15. 

The third set opened up with Fresno State making three-straight points, taking an early lead at 3-0.

Rud leaps for a hit as team watches (Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)

Wyoming followed that up with 3 points of their own to make the score 3-3. 

The alternating scoring continued with both teams taking turns at the lead. The score was tied at 10-10 and had been tied four times before then. 

A powerful kill by Haluska gave the Bulldogs a 3-point lead into the media timeout. Coming back in from the timeout, Fresno State added more to their lead, 18-12. 

A block from Cowgirl Sarah Holocomb cut their deficit to three points, 18-15. 

Wyoming wasn’t letting up as Fresno State looked to close out the game. A save by Dionii Fraga which led to a kill by Rud gave the ‘Dogs a 21-17 lead. 

Jenna Legault jumps for a kill against the Cowgirls. (Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)

Jenna Legualt got a kill which gave Fresno State the opportunity to complete their match point. She followed that up with getting the final point for a score of 25-19, earning a sweep over the Wyoming Cowgirls. 

Legualt credited her teammates for being able to close out the win. 

“I think Brooke [Cowie] was running our offense amazingly tonight. I think she put everyone in really good positions. I had that one-on-one. I had the opportunity to cross and I took it, so I think that was all just Brooke setting up a really good offense,” she said.  

It was announced by the conference on Oct. 23 that Brooke Cowie earned Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while libero Dionii Fraga earned Freshman of the Week.

Next up, the ‘Dogs are back home on Tuesday, Oct. 24 to face the Wolf Pack. First serve is at 6 p.m.