MSA and SPHA host food drive for the month of October

The Muslim Student Association and Student Public Health Association are hosting a food drive for the month of October.

There are two drop-off locations for donations, one at the J wing of McLane Hall and the other at the Amendola Family Student Cupboard, located in Industrial Technology, Room 144.

The food drive is for non-perishable foods in jars and cans.

The most requested items are peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, cereal and canned goods. They are also accepting hygiene products such as toothpaste, feminine products, deodorant and shampoo.

“Food is a human right and is an immediate and tangible way to help someone. Every donation of food can make a difference,” the flyer for the event stated.

Jose Rivas, the CalFresh coordinator, explained that the Student Cupboard receives over 2,400 visits every week and has helped around 4,000 CalFresh members of the community fill out applications so far this year.

“Here at the cupboard, we tried to reduce the stigma of receiving food for free, so we’re here to help our students at all times,” Rivas said. “They can email us on our off hours and we can also try to help them out.”

The Student Cupboard also has a diaper program that students can access by scanning the QR code at the checkout counter inside the facility.

Any current student can access the resources at the student cupboard with their student ID card or a student ID number.

The Student Cupboard is primarily funded through donations from members of the community as well as grants. Any student can volunteer or donate.

The hours of the Student Cupboard are:

• Mondays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Fridays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Temporary 30 minute parking for the cupboard is available in P20.

For more information about the food drive, contact Bailey Moskowitz by email at [email protected].

If students are interested in volunteering or donating to the Student Cupboard, they should contact Michael Ballin by email at [email protected] or by phone at (559) 278-0866.