LGBTQ+ students can find a safe haven at Queer Talks on campus

Lexey+Jenkins+speaking+during+a+Queer+Talks+meeting+on+Sept.+2.+
David Victor/ The Collegian
Lexey Jenkins speaking during a Queer Talks meeting on Sept. 2.

Fresno State’s Queer Talks meetings provide students who are part of the LGBTQ+ community with resources and a safe space to express themselves.

Navigating campus can be stressful when students from the community struggle to find like-minded people to talk to, but Queer Talks is here to bring them together.

“It’s basically meant to be a time and a space where students from the LGBTQ+ community can come and feel a sense of community, a sense of belonging and get to know and connect with other LGBTQ+ and allied students,” said Lexey Jenkins, lead student coordinator for LGBTQ+ Programs and Services at the Cross-Cultural and Gender Center.

Queer Talks is a discussion-based group meeting where LGBTQ+ students can sit down and talk with each other about everyday things, and find a number of valuable resources available to them.

Jenkins hosts the discussions every Friday in Room 110 at the Thomas Administration Building where the students can gather around a table, grab a snack and chat about what plans they have for the weekend. The students also engage in several activities to take their minds off of school and work, and in some discussions, they’re introduced to wellness resources available to all students like mental health counseling.

“In some meetings, we may have some games just so students can come in and relax to let loose and have fun with each other. Other times we’ll do self-care themed activities like decorating journals and doing journaling prompts, as well as bringing in campus and community resources,” Jenkins said.

The meetings are designed to be a safe space where students can open up about anything they may be afraid to talk about.

“In some meetings, I would check in with them and ask them how they are. Depending on the situation, I could take them to the Health Center if they’re seeking counseling support, if it’s that deep of an issue, or if it’s a financial issue, I can refer them to another support service that can provide that extra help,” she said.

The students can even make their own coffee inside the room.

“We have a water machine and a coffee maker, and that’s open any time. So if you’re on campus and you’re like, ‘I really need some coffee or tea,’ come on in and make it. We also have a microwave if the USU [University Student Union] microwave is busy and you want to heat your food,” Jenkins told The Collegian.

Jenkins herself was a frequent attendee before hosting the meetings and says it made a big impact on her.

Now she encourages LGBTQ+ students to do the same, especially if they’re new to Fresno State.

“My freshman year on campus I was really shy and I actually started coming to Queer Talks during my first week of school, and it really helped me come out of my shell,” Jenkins said. “It’s a sense of belonging and support on-campus. Because this is such a large campus and it’s easy to feel alone and unsupported, especially as a queer person because it’s an invisible identity. You can’t tell that someone is queer just by looking at them, so having support in these spaces is really important.”