Cowie and Fraga earn conference honors as ‘Dogs win five straight games

The+Fresno+State+volleyball+team+celebrates+after+a+win+against+Wyoming+on+Oct.+21+at+the+Save+Mart+Center.+
Jacqueline Carrillo
The Fresno State volleyball team celebrates after a win against Wyoming on Oct. 21 at the Save Mart Center.

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team (13-9, 7-4) vaulted into fourth place in the Mountain West Conference standings on Tuesday evening with a victory over Nevada.

After starting the season just 2-4 in conference play, the Bulldogs have won five games in-a-row in a dominant fashion. The ‘Dogs have now taken 14 of the last 17 sets, dating back to the team’s victory over San Diego State at home on Oct. 12. 

At the heart of the team’s success has been junior Brooke Cowie and freshman Dionii Fraga who have received the program’s first Mountain West weekly honors of the season, the conference announced on Monday morning.

Cowie has been tabbed MW Offensive Player of the Week, with Fraga being named MW Freshman of the Week.

“It was relieving. I feel like I’ve worked really hard so it helps me keep going. It’s nice being acknowledged,” Fraga said. 

Fraga led the team with 35 digs last week and also had a career-high five service aces in Bulldog’s five-set thrilling victory over Colorado State.

The Sanger native has been leaning on the leadership of Head Coach Leisa Rosen.

“I feel she really understands her players and pushes them to be their best,” Fraga said. 

Cowie echoed Fraga’s statement, praising Rosen’s love and knowledge of the game.

“We got some good leadership ahead of us. It’s easy to follow coaches that are passionate about the game,” Cowie said. 

Cowie was recognized this week after racking up 81 total assists including 52 in the game against Colorado State. Cowie also had 11 digs and five service aces in the win.

She credited Associate Head Coach Jerome Fraisse for helping her improve as a setter. 

“I think we’re finally getting the recognition we deserve as a team, as a whole. But also, I’ve been working really hard with Jerome, my setting coach, and I think it’s finally paying off,” Cowie said. 

The win on Tuesday did not come easily. The Bulldogs lost the first five points of the match to Nevada.

Fresno State managed to pull off a come-from-behind win in the first set after tying it up 12-12. They never let the lead go, winning the set 25-22.

The Wolf Pack went back-and-forth early in the second set until Fresno State snagged a 6-5 lead and held on to it throughout the set, winning 25-22 again. 

The Bulldogs vied for a second straight sweep after doing so against Wyoming on Oct. 21. The request would be denied however as Nevada won the third set 25-18. 

Fresno State would put the Wolf Pack away in the fourth set in a pretty dominant effort, winning 25-13. 

“This is our hard work paying off,” Fraga said. 

The Bulldogs were led by redshirt freshman Jenna Legault who had 11 kills on the night.

Fresno State will return to the Save Mart Center on Thursday, Oct. 26 as they host the San Jose State Spartans. 

A victory against the Spartans would mark the first six-game winning streak for the program since 2003.