For Rent Dr J Ad

Column: After a Utah win, the Bulldogs’ football season is far from over

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Bulldog running back Malik Sherrod runs with the ball down the field against Nevada at Valley Children’s Stadium, on Sept. 30.

After last week’s loss against conference opponent Wyoming lots of fans had their doubts on Fresno State’s football team. 

Well, they responded to those doubts. 

The Bulldogs headed to Logan, Utah for a Friday night match against the Utah State Aggies and beat them 37-32, making them the first team in the Mountain West to be bowl eligible. 

As unpredictable as injuries are, they are something that has to be dealt with and it was encountered in the team’s performance. 

Fresno State had two huge components missing: quarterback Mikey Keene, who was out with an ankle injury, and Cam Lockridge who has been out since the Nevada game and won’t be returning for the season due to a pectoral muscle injury.

This gave the opportunity for other players to step up. Fife took on the quarterback spot in his first career start and did a good job adapting to the environment. 

Fife has been in the position to take over before, as he did for Jake Haener when he injured his ankle last season, but the difference to then and now is that the ‘Dogs have a lot more to lose.

He threw for 291 yards, a touchdown pass and looked poised and ready out on the field. Fife did get sacked four times but it was not by fault of his own. 

The offensive line has not been the strongest at protecting the quarterback this season, and it showed against Utah State, who had a strong line pressuring them all night long. 

Malik Sherrod made up for what the offensive line lacked to bring to the field. Sherrod rushed 133 yards out of the 170 total yards rushed by the ‘Dogs and completed three touchdowns, quite literally carrying the team on his back. 

Other Mountain West teams still have to play, but I’d be surprised if Sherrod isn’t nominated for offensive player of the week. 

The defense struggled a lot in the beginning of the game, giving up easy passes to lazy coverage. During the second half, the ‘Dogs defense regrouped and was able to get better stops than in the first half. 

Credit is given where credit is due, and Utah State’s quarterback Cooper Legas deserves some credit. He effectively moved his team down the field, putting them in scoring positions all throughout the game.

With Legas leading the way, Utah State almost pulled off a comeback in the second half. They started off strong in the fourth quarter, and probably could’ve pulled it off, but Morrice Norris Jr. was there to stop them. 

Norris Jr. has been overlooked in the past but the Valley talent has been making waves this season, which is getting him more recognition and will bring more his way.

Norris Jr. sealed the game for Fresno State and also a paycheck for Head Coach Jeff Tedford. With the win against Utah State, Tedford received a $75,000 bonus because it is the sixth win of the season and gives the Bulldogs bowl eligibility.

Compared to how the Bulldogs started this season, the close win against the Aggies might’ve not been what everyone expected and they surely have a lot of cleaning up to do. 

But, a win is a win. 

With multiple players out for this game and the short notice adjustments that had to be made, Fresno State handled its business. 

Next week is a bye week for the ‘Dogs which will hopefully be enough time for them to get healthy and ready for the homecoming game back at Valley Children’s Stadium against UNLV on Oct. 28.