For Rent Dr J Ad

Bulldog volleyball falls to Boise State, drops to 2-3 in conference play

Outside+hitter+Ella+Rud+gets+ready+to+hit+the+ball+against+CSU+Northridge+at+Save+Mart+Center%2C+on+Sept.+1.+
Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian
Outside hitter Ella Rud gets ready to hit the ball against CSU Northridge at Save Mart Center, on Sept. 1.

The Fresno State Bulldog volleyball squad traveled to play the Boise State Broncos on Thursday night, hoping to defeat their conference foe and pick up another win. The Bulldogs did not come out victorious, dropping all three sets to the Broncos. 

The Broncos made the match extremely tough for the Bulldogs, as they dominated all three sets. 

The first set really asserted the Broncos’ dominance, as they started  leading big at 20-8. The Bulldogs would fight back to make it 25-15 at the end of the set. Though it wasn’t enough it showed that while the Bulldogs were down, they could not be counted out.

The second set proved to be much cleaner for the Bulldogs, but still, the Broncos would win once again, 25-16.

As the third set began, the Bulldogs showed a great amount of fight. They were able to make the score 15-14, putting some pressure on the Broncos. The Broncos rallied to make the score 24-18 and eventually won on a game point to close out the set at 25 points.

The Broncos were able to create some stout defense throughout the match, holding the Bulldogs to a .074% hitting percentage and 19 recorded errors. These stats are a big reason as to why the Bulldogs couldn’t get it done in Boise. Fresno State was also outnumbered in the overall kills statistic with the final tally being 43-26 in Boise State’s favor.  

Ella Rud and Addison Haluska led the way in kills for the Bulldogs with 9 and 7 respectively. 

With this loss behind them, the Bulldogs now drop to 8-8 overall and 2-3 in conference play. They currently sit at 7th place in the Mountain West standings. 

Fresno State will now travel to Utah and take on the 11-5 (4-1) Utah State Aggies, on Oct.7.