For Rent Dr J Ad

Students cool off and connect at campus ice cream social

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Students gathered in the RSU socializing and enjoying free ice cream.

On Tuesday, Sept. 12, students gathered at the Resnick Student Union for socializing, games, prizes and ice cream.

The event was hosted by Fresno State Spotlight Events, a student-led program dedicated to boosting the student social experience.

The first 20 minutes were spent allowing everyone to get to know each other by exchanging conversation starters on sprinkle-shaped pieces of paper with various helpful question prompts. While many students had at first been uncertain about engaging, that inhibition quickly faded as the room became abundant in active and energetic discussions.

“I used to go to these events all the time back when I lived in the dorms,” said Kimberly, a third-year student. “I’ve wanted to come back so I can get that social experience again. They’re fun!”

What followed was an afternoon of bonding through creativity as attendees beaded keychains and decorated colorful sunglasses. There were also QR codes at each table that linked to fun games and activities, accompanied by the event’s dessert theme.

By the end of the entertainment, a raffle was held and names were drawn for prizes consisting of three Cold Stone Creamery gift cards, and a rather intricate-looking ice cream kit.

Fresno State Spotlight Events’ website states that they host these gatherings in order to provide an open, safe and lively environment for students of all sorts to come and enjoy the opportunity to socialize with one another.

For those who are often busy in between classes, with work and other responsibilities, events like this allow students to meet new people and form connections that they might not otherwise have.

In other cases, these fixed environments relieve the tension often found in spontaneous conversation.

“I have social anxiety,” said Isaac, a student attendee. “So coming to social gatherings is a good way to get people to talk to each other and help them to be social when they wouldn’t otherwise.”

The Student Involvement volunteers said they work so hard to make these events come together successfully and are also aware of their importance.

“Events like these are such a great opportunity to create an environment with a sense of belonging for everyone,” said Bethany, a Spotlight Events member.

Some upcoming Spotlight Events this semester are Noche De Baile on Sept. 29, a movie night on Oct. 9 and a spooky social on Oct. 19.