NFL suspends former Fresno State Football quarterback Jake Haener for performance-enhancement substance use

Former+Bulldog+Jake+Haener+was+suspended+on+Sep.+6+for+violating+the+NFL+policy+on+performance-enhancing+drugs.+
Diego Vargas
Former Bulldog Jake Haener was suspended on Sep. 6 for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Former Fresno State and current New Orleans Saints quarterback Jake Haener has been suspended for the first six games of the 2023 NFL season without pay. The NFL announced this afternoon that Haener violated the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances.

A statement from an unnamed NFL spokesperson adds that Haener will be eligible to return to the Saints on Monday, Oct. 16, following their week 6 game against the Houston Texans. 

Haener responded to the announcement via his Instagram account, explaining that it is unknown to him how the substance entered his body.

“I recently learned that I tested positive for a substance banned by the NFL earlier this summer. I still do not know how the substance got into my body, as none of my supplements or prescribed medications contain the banned ingredient. I would never knowingly cheat the game that I love, however I must take full responsibility for the failed test. I apologize to the Saints organization, my friends and my family for any distraction this suspension may cause. I am disappointed to be away from the team for the coming weeks, but I will learn and grow from this experience. I look forward to returning to the team as soon as possible,” said Haener in an Instagram post.

Haener, who was the No. 127 overall pick in Round 4 of the 2023 NFL Draft, was the backup fourth string QB for the Saints before his suspension, joining forces with former Bulldog Derek Carr and Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill,  second and third string QBs respectively.