Fresno State volleyball earns second win in Mountain West play

Carlose Rene Castro
Outside hitter Jenna Legualt gets a kill against CSU Northridge on Sept. 1 at the Save Mart Center.

One season removed from finishing 7-23, the Fresno State women’s volleyball team has already surpassed that after beating Nevada in a thriller. The 3-2 win gave Fresno State an 8-6 record on the season so far. 

The win also gave the ‘Dogs their second Mountain West win of the season after finishing 1-17 in the conference the season prior. 

Fresno State lost the first set 25-21. Although it kept the game close, it was unable to overcome a 10-5 deficit. 

The ‘Dogs came within two points multiple times during the set, including 23-21. 

The Wolf Pack started strong once again in the second set, scoring seven of the first 10 points. 

The ‘Dogs clawed their way back and took a 14-13 lead midway through the set. Later on, they held a commanding 23-17 lead; the Wolfpack then scored five straight points to cut the lead. The ‘Dogs were able to seal the set  after a Wolf Pack error and kill by Maja Malczewska to clinch a 25-22 victory.

Fresno State won the third set 25-21. Errors from both teams dominated this set as Fresno State committed eight errors, while Nevada had even more with 13. 

For the Bulldogs’ final 15 points, 10 of those came from errors by the Wolf Pack. 

Nevada won the fourth set 25-20. Even though the set was close for most of it, Nevada held the lead for a majority of the set. Fresno State’s last lead was 6-5.

The fifth and final set started back-and-forth, with both teams going on three-point scoring streaks early on to make it 5-5. Both traded the following four points to put the score at and even 7-7. 

The ‘Dogs then went on a four-point run to take an 11-7 lead. The Wolf Pack made it close at 12-10, but the ‘Dogs were able to close it out and win 15-10. 

Addison Haluska and Jenna Legault led the ‘Dogs with 16 and 15 kills, respectively. 

The win gave the ‘Dogs a 2-1 record in conference play as they sit alone in fifth place in the Mountain West standings. 

Fresno State will be back in action on Sept. 30 as it will head to San Jose to face the 9-6 (0-2) Spartans.