’Dogs showcase their best win yet against Sacramento State

Addison+Haluska+gets+a+kill+against+CSU+Northridge+at+the+Save+Mart+Center+on+Sept.+1.+
Carlos Rene Castro
Addison Haluska gets a kill against CSU Northridge at the Save Mart Center on Sept. 1.

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team finished its second day of the Central Cal Challenge with a win. 

Coming off a loss to Pacific on the first day of the tournament, the ‘Dogs changed their aggression on the court to pull off a 3-0 win against Sacramento State on Sept. 15. 

Opening up the game the ‘Dogs and Hornets were striking back-to-back putting points on the board quickly.

The close deficit continued throughout the first set but it ultimately led down to the last play. Fresno State was up 24-20 but then allowed Sacramento State to put up two points,  and cut it to a two-point game.  Bulldog Ella Rud then got a kill on the Hornets, sealing the first set win.

This was the Dogs’ first win of the season in an opening set matchup. 

Coming off hot, the ‘Dogs started the second set on a 7-0 run to take a big lead, keeping up the positive momentum. 

The Bulldogs were able to gain a 10-point lead in the set making it their biggest lead so far this season. 

Fresno State continued extending its leads earning its largest deficit of the game at 10 points, 21-11. 

The ‘Dogs won their second set 25-15. 

Although the Hornets were down two sets, they didn’t go out without putting up a battle. 

The Hornets started off first taking a 1-0 lead early in the set but the Bulldogs had a response. Middle blocker Addison Haluska and libero Dionii Fraga both combined for three points to take back the lead, 3-1. 

After an 8-1 run by the Hornets  the Bulldogs were put down five points, 9-4.

The ‘Dogs stepped up on defense, minimizing points to bounce back from the shortfall. 

Haluska was able to take back the lead on an attack error by the Hornets to go up 24-23. 

Shortly after, the ‘Dogs closed out the game with two back-to-back points, and close out the win for all three sets. 

The Bulldogs defeated the Horntes 3-0 going 1-1 in the tournament so far. 

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team will conclude the last matchup of the Central Cal Challenge on Sept. 16 against CSU Bakersfield in Stockton.