Fresno State volleyball swept by Northridge

Marcos Acosta
Fresno State volleyball against San Francisco in September 2022, at the Save Mart Center

After winning its first match of the year last time on the court, the Fresno State women’s volleyball team lost 3-0 to Cal State Northridge, falling 1-3 on the season. 

The ‘Dogs got an early 8-3 lead in the first game after scoring four consecutive points. The Matadors responded with four points, cutting the lead to 8-7. 

A kill from Bulldog senior Grace Doyle gave them a 14-12 lead midway through the game. The Matadors then reeled off five straight points to go up 17-14. 

The ‘Dogs managed to keep it close, cutting the lead to 20-18. Once again, the Matadors scored four-straight points to take a commanding 24-18 stretch and won the first game 25-19. 

Despite the loss, sophomore Bulldog Addison Haluska continued her strong start to the season with a team-leading seven kills in the first game. Haluska led the team with 14 for the match and led the team with 58 kills. 

The second game started tightly contested with the score tied at 15 midway through. Cal State Northridge won eight of the following 11 points to go ahead 23-18. 

Fresno State  responded by cutting the lead to 23-21. The four-point deficit they faced was too much to overcome as Cal State Northridge scored the following two points to win the second game, 25-21.

Much like the second game, the third started close at 16-16 with neither team gaining a lead larger than three points. 

The teams split the next eight points, tying the score again at 20-20. The Matadors scored three straight points to go up 23-20. 

With the ‘Dogs facing defeat, they rattled off four consecutive points to go up 24-23, scoring by two kills from Doyle, and a kill and an ace from Haluska. 

Fresno State could not close out the game as Cal State Northridge scored four out of the last five points, capitalizing on an attack error from junior Ella Rud, who had seven errors that night. The final set resulted in a loss, 27-25. 

The ‘Dogs will return home to the Save Mart Center to face the Matadors again on Sept. 1 at 6 p.m.