No car? No problem: Students can take public transportation for little to no cost

A Fresno Area Express bus cruising down Shaw Ave near Fresno Fresno State on Thursday, Aug. 24.

Since the first day of instruction for Fresno State kicked off on Aug. 21, parking has been an issue for students who commute by car. However, students can use their Fresno State student ID to use alternative transportation methods for little to no cost.

Here are ways students can get to campus through public transportation:

Fresno Area Express (FAX)

Fresno State and the Fresno Area Express (FAX), a public transportation operator that serves residents of Fresno, have a partnership that students who live in Fresno can take advantage of.

Students can get free bus rides around the city and to campus with their Fresno State student ID. FAX has about 1,606 bus stops and 100 buses, so students shouldn’t have difficulty finding a local bus to take them to campus.

FAX regular service hours are Monday through Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and weekends from 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

To learn more information about FAX routes, click here.

V-LINE

The V-LINE is a shuttle service between Fresno and Visalia. The Fresno-Visalia shuttle route operates seven days a week and is in service from 4 a.m to 9:15 p.m.

The shuttle stops at the Fresno Yosemite International Airport, Fresno State and Courthouse Park in Downtown Fresno. The Fresno State stop is located near the Kremen School of Education at the end of Maple Avenue, just north of Shaw Avenue.

During the bus ride to Fresno, students can take advantage of the in-bus amenities the shuttle service provides. The V-LINE offers free Wi-Fi, USB charging ports, storage racks and spacious seating to enjoy the ride.

The V-LINE is available at a discounted rate of $9 per ride for students. Multiple ride punch passes are also available at discounted rates.

Students interested in using the shuttle service must be enrolled in an academic session and should pick up V-LINE passes at the Traffic Operations office during regular service hours.

Service hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m and their office is located at 2311 E Barstow Ave Fresno, CA 93740.

To find or learn more information about V-LINE, click here.

Clovis Round Up

The Clovis Round Up is a free paratransit service with buses and vans serving disabled students who can’t access major designated stops, such as those provided by FAX or the V-LINE. The Round Up can pick up and drop-off students at their desired location’s entrance.

Students wishing to ride the Round Up must complete the Round Up Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) application. Potential passengers will then be notified of the eligibility status by mail 21 days after the completed application. Eligibility to use the Round Up is determined by using standards set by ADA law.

To ride either of the buses or vans, students must submit a request that can be made up to 14 days in advance and must provide a date, time and destination address. Students are welcome to bring a care attendant, family member, friends and trained pets.

The Round Up is in service Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 7:15 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

To find or learn more information about the Clovis Round Up, click here or call (559) 324-2760