Bulldog star quarterbacks unite: Haener joins Carr and New Orleans Saints

Jake+Haener+sets+up+for+a+play+against+Hawaii+on+Nov.+5+at+Valley+Childrens+Stadium.+

Estela Anahi Jaramillo/The Collegian

Jake Haener sets up for a play against Hawaii on Nov. 5 at Valley Childrens Stadium.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

Two former Bulldogs will be sharing the quarterback room this coming football season for the New Orleans Saints: Jake Haener and Derek Carr. 

After concluding his career with Fresno State this past season, Haener declared for the NFL Draft on Dec. 24. 

During the 2022 season, he led the Bulldogs in a turnaround season and then to a victory at the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl

He also picked up the title of MVP at the Reese’s Senior Bowl before participating in the NFL combine, as well as the Fresno State Pro Day where he showcased his skills to NFL scouts. 

Haener was drafted by the Saints as the 127th overall pick in the fourth round on Saturday, April 29.

“I can’t wait to be a part of Saints Nation. I can’t wait to team up with quarterback Derek Carr and Jameis Winston, reuniting Fresno State yet again,” he said on a video posted to the New Orleans Saints Twitter account. 

Haener is the highest selected offensive player from Fresno State since 2014, when Carr was selected in the second round as the 36th overall pick. 

Carr played at Fresno State from 2009-13, and led the team to its first Mountain West Conference Championship title in its second season with the Mountain West. 

He earned offensive MVP as well as offensive player of the year for the conference. 

Carr will also be playing for the Saints next season. He recently signed with the team after being released from the Raiders after nine seasons. His contract is a four-year deal that can pay him up to $150 million with $100 million guaranteed. 

Four other Fresno State players have also earned a spot in the NFL, signing to teams as undrafted free agents. 

Running back Jordan Mims signed with the Buffalo Bills. In the Bulldog record books, he stands as fourth all-time in rushing yards with 3,290. Mims is also the second all-time leading scorer with 45 touchdowns during his time at Fresno State. 

Standout Cal transfer Nikko Remigio is joining the reigning Super Bowl Champions, Kansas City Chiefs. The wide receiver played one season for the ‘Dogs scoring nine touchdowns, and becoming the first Bulldog to earn two positional conference honors for wide receiver and punt returner. 

Wide receiver Jalen Moreno-Cropper signed with the Dallas Cowboys. He played four seasons with the ‘Dogs and ranks in the top 10 on five categories: pass receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, 100-yard receiving games and consecutive games with a catch. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed defensive end David Perales. He also stands in the Bulldog record books as 6th all-time in sacks with 22.5. This past season, he earned first team All-Mountain West defensive linemen and led the defensive line with 47 tackles. 

The NFL schedules won’t be released until mid-May, but you can expect to see the former Bulldogs on the field in early September.