Jake Haener prepares for NFL combine after the Senior Bowl

Jake+Haener+playing+against+Wyoming+during+his+last+season+as+a+Bulldog.+

Estela Anahi Jaramillo/The Collegian

Jake Haener playing against Wyoming during his last season as a Bulldog.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

From winning the Mountain West Championship to the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl game, to now having another win under his belt with the Reese’s Senior Bowl game, Jake Haener has been the center of attention after finishing his collegiate career at Fresno State with a historical run. 

He was selected to participate in the Senior Bowl in December. The game was held at the Hancock Whitney Stadium in Mobile, Alabama. 

Before heading there, Haener talked to his former coach Kevin Coyle about the Senior Bowl. 

“I just wanted to pick his brain on what to expect,” Haener said. 

Haener saw further success at the Senior Bowl, as he not only got the win, he was also recognized as the Reese’s Senior Bowl MVP.

He was a part of the National team, which beat the American team with a final score of 27-10. He threw one touchdown pass to Stanford receiver Michael Wilson for 44 yards and threw 139 total yards.

“Coming back and having that was awesome. To be able to go through that and being able to experience that and have a really good crowd there, it was fun,” Haener said. 

Haener was surrounded by top quarterbacks such as Malik Cunningham (Louisville), Jaren Hall (BYU), Clayton Tune (Houston), Hendon Hooker (Tennessee), Max Duggan (TCU) and Tyson Bagent (Shepherd).

He was also selected as the Practice Quarterback of the Week by his National team teammates. 

Haener will prepare for the NFL combine, which is set for April 27-29 in Indianapolis, and for Pro-Day at Fresno State. 

“I feel like I need to continue to do what I do and not worry about the perspectives of other people,” Haener said.