Fresno State students can park their boards and scooters in the parking location by the Speech Arts Building. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

Fresno State community shares its concerns regarding motorized scooters on campus

The Fresno State community has become increasingly accustomed to the sound of motorized scooters zipping around campus. 

In a Facebook video welcoming incoming Bulldogs, Fresno State  President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval encouraged students to consider “investing in a bicycle, skateboard or scooter” to use to travel across campus. 

Many have embraced this message, but some students, faculty and staff have shared their concerns about the potential risks of on-campus scooters.

“It definitely seems like there are more scooters on campus than last year,” said Maya Thurmon, a Fresno State student. 

Thurmon said she does not own one herself, but acknowledged the appeal in having a scooter despite having “almost been run over multiple times.”

The scooter trend has garnered the attention of Debbie Adishian-Astone, vice president for administration. In a campuswide email, she reminded students of wheeled-device restrictions following incidents this semester.

Adishian-Astone wrote that scooters create the risk of trips and falls indoors, and that the devices might block exits or hallways during an emergency.

Despite the risks, one benefit for students is the ability to make it to class quickly. Fresno State student Christopher Major lives in student housing and enjoys using his powered scooter because his classes are farther, he said. 

However, Major’s scooter can reach a maximum speed of 25 mph, which is 66% faster than the speed limit cars are not advised to exceed in parking lots.

One issue arising at Fresno State is the possibility of a pedestrian-scooter collision due to unawareness or ignorance of campus policies for wheeled devices. A scooter-related incident proved fatal recently when San José State University’s Camdam McWright, a freshman on the Spartan football team, was struck by a bus while riding his electric scooter to school.

Wheels-off areas are marked in various spots on campus to note areas where the use of skateboards, bikes, hoverboards and scooters are not allowed. Despite signs that say “Wheels Off” between the Library and the University Testing Center, many students are no stranger to the countless scooters speeding by.

Fresno State relies on an honor system when it comes to enforcing this policy, but other universities opt for verbal reprimand. Arizona State University hires student employees armed with whistles and strong voices to stand guard and enforce the wheels-off rule. 

“It’s a known thing. All the kids on campus talk about it. Professors even joke and say, ‘You better not be riding in the wheels-off zone,” said Thaiger Flowers, a former Fresno State student.

Major wasn’t aware of the wheels-off areas and said that they should not exist where students pass through on their way to class. He suggested a separate lane where scooters and bikes can pass. 

Another student, Julia Vidrio, said using the same pathways as students on scooters feels like she’s walking into “oncoming traffic.”

Student Andy Lopez said that, after nearly being struck by a scooter in a wheels-off area, the student on the scooter was upset with him.

Adishian-Astone wrote in the email that the university is concerned over students ignoring wheels-off area expectations and explained it would be very difficult to enforce unless observed by campus staff.

Not all students on scooters ignore the rules. Brandon Xiong has a non-powered scooter and said he is aware of wheels-off areas and walks rather than rides through them. Although Xiong does not see scooter use in wheels-off areas as an issue, he noted that strict enforcement would ensure safety.

Motorized and non-motorized wheeled devices, including unicycles, scooters, skateboards and hoverboards, are not allowed inside of any university buildings. 

Signage around campus intended to relay this message is scarce. In the Resnick Student Union (RSU), printer pages showing a stick person riding a scooter with a red no symbol are posted on walls and inside elevators. 

In the campuswide email, Adishian-Astone said that she is planning on increasing signage around campus for wheels-off areas and creating official signage to remind students that scooters are not permitted inside of buildings.

As for storage, Lisa Kao, the director of the Office of Environmental Health and Safety and Risk Management, recommends that owners of scooters and other wheeled devices consult with the device manufacturer to determine effective methods to secure their device to regular bike racks currently available on campus and in the city of Fresno. 

Electric scooter parking will be installed in locations throughout campus in upcoming weeks.

According to an email sent to students Wednesday morning, seven new scooter parking locations will be available later this semester. 

Scooter parking spots will be located at the Student Recreation (REC) Center, Science II Building, McLane Hall, University Center, Library, Student Housing Atrium and North Gym.

“These racks are a secure option when used in conjunction with U-lock security devices,” said Debbie Adishian-Astone, vice president for administration and chief financial officer.

For students currently looking for secure locations to park their scooters, they can utilize “Bike Barn” locations at the REC Center, Student Housing and Professional Human Services Building, according to Derek Brantley, parking and transportation manager, and Adishian-Astone. Student ID cards are required to access these areas.

Adishian-Astone also advised students to “be mindful” of pedestrians and their safety when navigating campus.

“We want everyone to be safe, and we need those who are using wheeled devices to travel safely when on campus, at a slow speed,” she said.

On Oct. 26, University Communications sent a campuswide email announcing the installation of scooter parking locations throughout campus later this fall. Scooter parking spots will be located at the Student Recreation (REC) Center, Science II Building, McLane Hall, University Center, Library, Student Housing Atrium and North Gym.

Despite risks and restrictions, the convenience of scooters is undeniable. Fresno State’s administration will continue finding solutions and the campus community will continue adapting, because the scooter trend will continue to progress.