TNS
An old, ivy-covered building at San Jose State University, right, stands next to the modern City Hall building in San Jose, California. (Dreamstime/TNS)

SJSU’s Camdan McWright passes away Friday morning

Nearly one week following Fresno State’s homecoming game against San José State, the Spartans are mourning the loss of a team member. 

Camdan McWright was a freshman on the Spartan football team. He would have turned 19 in December.

On Friday morning, McWright was on his way to school riding an electric scooter when he was struck by a San José Unified School District bus carrying 14 students. 

California Highway Patrol Officer Ross Lee told Bay Area News Group that McWright was pronounced dead at the scene.

Lee said the bus was traveling eastbound while McWright traveled northbound two blocks away from the campus. The collision was reported at 6:51 a.m.

SJSU administration informed students regarding the accident. President Steve Perez shared his condolences. 

“The loss of our student is heartbreaking and devastating for our San José State community. We grieve for Camdan, his family, friends, teammates and the Spartan family. We grieve together and will provide all of the support that Camdan’s family, our students and our football program require to help move through this tragic time,” Perez said. 

San José State Football Head Coach Brent Brennan noted the athlete’s bright future and the personality he brought to the team. 

“We lost an amazing young man tragically this morning. Camdan had a bright future ahead of him and everyone in this community that had the opportunity to spend time with him knew that,” Brennan said. “We are still trying to deal with the news of this tragedy, and appreciate everyone’s support during these difficult times. ”

McWright was from Pacoima, California and graduated from St. Genevieve High School. This was his first season playing with the Spartans and appeared in only one game this season against University of Las Vegas on Oct. 7, 2022.