Take Back the Night returns to Fresno State

On Oct. 10, Fresno State’s annual event Take Back the Night brought over 100 students, staff and faculty members together to raise awareness regarding domestic violence and sexual assault.

The event coincided with  Wear Purple Day, in which students are encouraged to wear purple to support domestic violence survivors and raise awareness by posting on social media.  Both events were part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM).

The Women’s Alliance club and the Cross-Cultural and Gender Center (CCGC) facilitated the events.

Attendees marched from the University Student Union (USU) to the Peace Gardens during the culmination of the event, carrying lit candles and shouting “Break the silence, end the violence, take a stand against domestic violence!” 

Mindy Kates, Fresno State’s survivor advocate, emphasized that Take Back the Night is intended to raise awareness and spread support for survivors of any interpersonal violence, including sexual assault or domestic violence.

“[This event is] to show our support and take back our campus. It’s also to say that we want a safe environment for our college campus,” Kates said.

Each year the event has a different theme, and this year’s was uplifting the voices of LGBTQ+ survivors. 

Prior to the march students were able to visit a resource fair where organizations such as the Marjaree Mason Center, Fresno County’s Victims of Crimes Services, Centro La Familia and Project Hope tabled to distribute information.

Students gathering around were given white flowers and purple ribbons with safety pins featuring affirmations such as “you are brave.”

The Raging Grannies, an activist group composed of older women who sing songs promoting social justice and peace, performed for the crowd with songs focused on women’s issues.

Rosio Léon Velasco-Stoll, the founder and president of The Fresno Spectrum Center, provided an emotional testimony before guiding students, faculty and staff through breathing exercises to ground those who may have shared a similar story. 

Many attendees show up to Take Back the Night each year, but for some students, like sophomore food and nutrition science major Martha Morales, it was a new experience

“It caught my eye because my mom was a victim of domestic violence and I wanted to be here to support and encourage others to come,” Morales said. “I came to learn more and to just be present.” 

The event also gave attendees the option to come up to the podium to share their own experiences with domestic violence, leaving many in the crowd tearful and inspired. 

“People can come and speak their truth out loud and really feel as a community that we are being supportive and that their voices are being heard,” Kates said.

After an hour of sharing unique accounts of abuse and resilience, those who shared and those who didn’t were honored with a medallion to recognize all who break the silence regardless of how they do so.

For those who know someone who is experiencing any form of interpersonal violence, Kates recommends using resources like the Rainn Network, which incorporates the acronym  T.A.L.K., to reach out.

Talk pledge” encourages individuals to pledge to use T.A.L.K. to thank someone who opens up for telling you, ask how you can help, listen without judgment and keep supporting.

Video filmed and edited by Carlos Rene Castro.