The Student Health and Counseling Center offers physical exams, sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing and treatment, pregnancy prevention and testing and resource referrals for students. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

It’s Domestic Violence Awareness Month at Fresno State.­Here’s what­you need to know.

What is Domestic Violence Awareness Month?

• Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM) began as a national “Day of Unity” conceived by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence in October 1981.
  • In 1987, the first DVAM was observed the same year the first national domestic violence toll-free hotline launched.
  • In 1989, Congress passed Public Law 101-112 to designate October of that year as National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
  • This legislation has been passed every year since and was reaffirmed by President Joe Biden on Sept. 30.
  • The first Monday of DVAM is celebrated as the “Day of Unity.”

What resources are there for students experiencing domestic violence?

• Confidential Survivor Advocate:
    • Fresno State’s survivor advocate, Mindy Kates, is available to assist students with crisis intervention, confidential advocacy services, resource referrals and assistance with housing, academics and work assignments if reasonable.
    • Contact Kates at (559) 278-6796 or [email protected].
  • Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC):
    • Offers physical exams, sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing and treatment, pregnancy prevention and testing and resource referrals for students. 
    • Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., except on Wednesdays when it is open from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
  • Fresno State Police Department:
    • Offers transportation to a hospital for a rape kit exam, resource referrals and anonymous reporting.
    • The campus police can be reached at (559) 278-8400 for emergencies or safety escorts.
  • Title IX Coordinator:
    • Can assist students with a review of applicable university procedures if the decision is made to report an assault to Fresno State, and can otherwise assist with resource referrals, no-contact orders and housing, academic or work accommodations.
    • Students can contact Jamie Pontius-Hogan, current director of Title IX and clery compliance, at (559) 278-5857 or at [email protected].
    • The Title IX Offices will soon be moved to the upper levels of the University Student Union, where the former Associated Student Inc. office was located. There is currently no official date, but the move will happen later this fall.
  • Cross-Cultural and Gender Center (CCGC):
    • Offers peer support for students as well as resource referrals and other support services.
    • The CCGC is located in the Thomas Administration Building, Room 110A. The center can be contacted at (559) 278-4435 or [email protected].

What DVAM events can you attend on campus?

• “Healing Through Journaling” at Thomas 110 on Tuesday, Oct. 11, from 3-4:30 p.m.
    • Student attendees will receive a free journal to decorate and snacks while they learn how to use journaling in their lives.
  • “Take Back the Night” outside the University Student Union (USU) on the lower level on Thursday, Oct. 20, from 5:30-8 p.m. 
    • The annual event will include a resource fair, speakers, a march around campus and a speak out. This year’s theme is lifting up LGBTQ+ voices.
    • Thursday, Oct. 20, is also “Wear Purple Day,” during which students are encouraged to wear purple to support domestic violence survivors and raise awareness by posting on social media with the tags #PurpleThursday and #DVAM2022.
  • “How to Help Presentation” via Zoom on Friday, Oct. 28, from 3-4 p.m. 
    • Students can attend to learn how to support an individual who discloses sexual trauma and/or interpersonal violence.