After the Bulldogs’ 2012 season ended, he joined the Canadian Independent League and then Major League Baseball. (Photo Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Aaron Judge sets American League record in home runs in a single season

On Oct. 4, 2022, in a game against the Texas Rangers in Arlington, Texas, Fresno State alumnus Aaron Judge made history for the fans and teammates who were present that night. 

Judge has been on every baseball fan’s radar from the moment he started accumulating home runs for the New York Yankees. Last week, Judge broke the 61-year-old American League (AL) record for the most home runs in a single season with 62.

“It’s a big relief… It’s been a fun ride so far,” Judge told NPR Tuesday night. 

This isn’t the first season where Judge has caught the attention of the MLB world. He has been an outstanding slugger since his very first major league at-bat when he hit a home run on his fourth pitch as a Yankee. 

Even in his first season, Judge set the MLB record for most home runs by a rookie with 49 dingers. 

The 30-year-old athlete, now in his seventh season, has shattered his previous records. He has set the best runs batted in (RBI) in the AL at 131 and his batting average at .311. 

Reporter and analyst Sarah Langs predicted that Judge would hit 64 home runs this season. With 10 plate appearances left in 2022, he’s only two away from the predicted outcome.

In 1961, New York Yankee Roger Maris set the previous single season home run record at 61 home runs. 

Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants currently carries the all-MLB record of 73 homers in a single season. The National League (NL) player set the record in 2001, passing previous NL players Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals and Sammy Sosa of the Chicago Cubs. 

However, McGwire’s, Sosa’s and Bonds’ records have been discredited due to accusations against them, making Judge’s talent the first uncontested record-breaking run. 

The MLB began drug testing players in 2003, and since then no players from the AL and NL have passed Maris’ record until now.