TNS
There are no suspects according to the Fresno Police Department.(Alexandru Cuznetov/Dreamstime/TNS)

Police arrest suspect in connection with shooting at Campus Pointe

A suspect was arrested Wednesday in connection with a deadly shooting at Campus Pointe, Fresno police said.

Ricardo Resendez, 18, of Parlier, was arrested as the person responsible for shooting and killing Frank Sierras, 22, at Campus Pointe, according to a news release from the Fresno Police Department.

Resendez was arrested in Parlier at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday and was booked into the Fresno County Jail Thursday morning, according to court records. He is facing a first-degree murder charge and is out on bail, records show. 

On Tuesday, officers responded shortly after midnight to the Campus Pointe parking lot at 3090 East Campus Pointe Drive about a traffic collision and a possible victim of a shooting, the release said. 

Officers arrived on scene and found a white compact vehicle that “collided into a parking structure of the Palazzo at Campus Pointe student housing complex,†police said. Fresno Police also found Sierras inside the vehicle.

According to the release, emergency medical services arrived, and Sierras was pronounced dead on the scene.

Investigators found that a brief verbal argument took place inside of Maya Cinemas between Sierras’ associate and another group of people, law enforcement officials said. 

According to police, the encounter carried into the parking lot of the Campus Pointe Shopping Center. As Sierras was driving through the parking lot, he encountered the group a second time, which was when Sierras was shot.

Police said Sierras was able to drive a short distance after being shot, but he crashed into a parking structure at the Palazzo at Campus Pointe. 

This was Fresno’s 38th homicide of the year. There were 18 homicides around this time last year.