Fresno police department car parked in front of Fresno State Police Department on Tuesday February 4, 2020 (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

22-year-old man killed in shooting at Campus Pointe parking lot

A 22-year-old man was shot and killed after crashing into a parking structure at the Palazzo at Campus Pointe student housing complex, Fresno police said.

On Tuesday, July 6, officers responded to a traffic collision at 3090 East Campus Pointe Drive, where they found that the driver, Frank Sierras, had crashed into a parking structure. Officers also determined that Sierras was the victim of a shooting, a news release said.

Despite life-saving efforts by emergency medical services, Sierras was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators determined that a disturbance occurred in the parking lot of the Campus Pointe shopping center. During this disturbance, police said Sierras was fatally shot. Although Sierras managed to get into his vehicle and drive off, he only traveled a short distance before crashing into a parking structure. 

No arrests in connection with the shooting were announced in the news release.

Investigators are not releasing the motive for this shooting at this time. Detectives said they are currently following all leads and collecting video surveillance footage from the area.

According to the news release, this is Fresno’s 38th homicide of the year in comparison to the 18 homicides around this time last year.