The sun sets on Bulldog Stadium during a homecoming game against Colorado State on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. (Armando Carreno/The Collegian)

Bulldogs’ game against San Diego State canceled by Mountain West

Fresno State has played its last home game of 2020. 

On Sunday, the Mountain West (MW) announced that Fresno State’s game on Friday, Nov. 27, against San Diego State has been canceled and will not be rescheduled. 

With this cancellation, the Bulldogs’ next scheduled game will be on the road against the Nevada Wolf Pack on Dec. 5.

Friday’s matchup is the second game in a row to be canceled due to COVID-19. On Thursday, the Mountain West canceled the rivalry match-up between Fresno State and San Jose State.

With that cancellation, Fresno State athletics director Terry Tumey revealed that the Fresno State football program had a member test positive for COVID-19. 

In that statement, Tumey said that with extensive contact tracing efforts, Fresno State Athletics had identified additional student-athletes who are “required to be quarantined as a precaution.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 must quarantine for 14 days

Regardless if a student-athlete feels healthy or have tested negative, the CDC recommends staying in quarantine for 14 days as symptoms may appear 2 to 14 days after exposure to the virus.

The Fresno State-San Diego State game is the first MW game to be canceled this week. However, last week, three games were canceled within the MW, including Fresno State’s game, due to COVID-19. 

Rises in positive COVID-19 could result in more cancellations later this week.

Back in September, the MW announced that the 2020 season would be a conference-only eight-game season

Fresno State has had two games canceled this year due to COVID-19, which means the Bulldogs could finish with a max of six games played this year.

There is no room for rescheduling canceled games since the MW set a firm date for when the MW championship game will occur. 

The MW Championship game will take place on Dec. 19 and feature the top two programs with the highest winning percentage.