The Seeds’ pianist Daryl Hooper plays the keys and sings during the band’s performance at Tower Theatre on Sept 16, 2017. (Alejandro Soto/The Collegian)

The Seeds make a stop in Fresno. Where were the hipsters?

In the late ‘60s, The Seeds were likened to The Rolling Stones by Muddy Waters and had the attention of Iggy Pop.

Now, self-proclaimed as one of the most “iconic American rock bands,” The Seeds performed at The Tower Theatre on Saturday night. It was the band’s first stop in Fresno.

With about 50 people of all ages in attendance, the band gave the performance its best go-around, as if all 761 seats were filled with cheering fans.

Along with a laser show, the band was lively and engaged with the audience throughout the night asking them to get on their feet and sing along.

With founding member Daryl Hooper still in the band, the music seemed to hold to the integrity of the original members and their music.

The newly-reformed and self-proclaimed garage-rock and proto-punk band includes Hooper, drummer Don Boomer, bassist Alec Palao, guitarist Jeff Prentice and vocalist Paul Kopf.

Although the theatre’s acoustics were dynamic, the music of the ‘60s should not be constrained to the inside of a building. The performance would have been better suited for an outdoor venue.

Some of the songs, Kopf said, had not been performed for nearly 40 years, including “No Escape,” “Pushin’ Too Hard” and “Try To Understand.”

The band also performed a new song, and without releasing the name of the song, said it plans to release a new album on vinyl sometime next year.

An audience member who saw the band in 1967 was given a shoutout by Kopf and had the song “Can’t Seem to Make You Mine” dedicated to him. The same song was featured in the Netflix series “Stranger Things.” Still, it did not seem to attract the younger crowd.

Being someone who loves classic rock, I thoroughly enjoyed the music. However, I found those next to me leaving early and myself on my phone all night.

The concert possibly persuaded me to buy their album at Tower District Records to have as background music at home. But, personally, I was not as engaged as I normally am at concerts. This could have been because the venue was big and full of empty seats.

It would be wrong to say the concert was not upbeat, exciting and nostalgic with the band’s sound. If anyone loves music from five decades ago, The Seeds, although not as mainstream as Jefferson Airplane, should be on their bucket list.

With the sound of a mix between The Rolling Stones and The Doors, I was left wondering where all the Tower District hipsters who love classic rock were.