Cooking and The Joys Of Experimentation

Cooking and The Joys Of Experimentation

Oftentimes in the past I would find myself making dishes that were initially quite pleasing and satisfactory. ­They contained the usual mix of ingredients and provided a stable but rather uninteresting and routine expression of taste.

­­­­This would reveal itself in a flat, one dimensional way, that would leave the individual only partially satisfied. ­Much of the spontaneity was simply ignored or left out. ­Part of this was due to adherence to tradition and to a fear of failure. ­A possible wasting of food was avoided at the cost of future joys of exploration into the unknown.

­­­­As I began to experiment I soon realized that in the long run it was well worth the risk. ­Like an ancient explorer traversing uncharted territory for the first time it became apparent that part of the fun was the mystery itself. ­To peel back the layers, to get at the core of the essence of the thing and expose it in new and novel ways.

­­­­Sweet and savory first took shape when I purchased some Havarti cheese and strawberries. ­While both on their own are worthy of praise and enjoyment, nothing can compare to the ensuing discussion after they have been combined! ­It was like the ascension from pop music to a classical symphony with all of its nuanced complexities and revelations. ­It was truly a transcendental experience for me. ­

­­­­I then immediately applied this knew knowledge to a particular dish I had been working on. ­It begins with thinly sliced mushrooms, shallots, garlic, onions, honey cured bacon, and chicken all sauteed in bruschetta infused olive oil. ­Then spinach and arugula topped with two scoops of sour cream, one scoop of vanilla yogurt, and a light dash of pepper on top. ­Included are two pita bread halves warmed in butter. ­The two ingredients that I would have never added before became a big asset: the strawberries and Havarti cheese. ­

­­­­By adding new and seemingly contradictory ingredients my cooking experience has been greatly enhanced. ­It has allowed for the spontaneity of the palette, essentially keeping things off-balance and interesting. ­

­­­­Now granted I have tried other combinations with less success but my attitude towards failure has become one more of acceptance and a realization that it was less of a failure and more of a learning opportunity for the future.

­­­Here’s to happy cooking and happy eating. ­Enjoy!