Organic drink stand will launch on campus

Students, faculty and staff who are busy bouncing from class to class often have a difficult time finding a healthy beverage on campus. Entrepreneurship major Krystal Kitahara believes that students should have easy access to healthy beverage choices, and she plans to bring this concept to campus for the remainder of the semester through her business Yummi Karma.

“I want to offer students organic orange juice,” Kitahara said. “A lot of things these days are pasteurized.”

Kitahara will launch Yummi Karma on April 4 in front of the Peter’s Business building. Yummi Karma will offer Fresno State class-goers a healthy alternative to other beverages such as soft drinks and energy drinks.

The stand will provide students the opportunity to drink organic orange juice each morning.

“Our juices will be fresh daily for students,” Kitahara said.

Yummi Karma plans on eventually offering a variety of beverages, but will begin by offering orange juice. The orange juice will be freshly squeezed each morning and delivered to be purchased and drank by students that day.

The business will also be run off of a system known as the honor system. The honor system is a system in which the juice will be left out for students to grab the juice as they please, but are expected to pay for the juice.

“I’m banking on the fact that people are honest and pay,” Kitahara said. “There will be a drop box for them to leave the money in.”

Kitahara said if class-goers start stealing, then Yummi Karma will shut down. The campus community will receive the award of keeping the stand operating with their honesty to pay.

The business idea began in professor Tom Burns’ entrepreneurship class. Entrepreneurship 157 requires students to start their own business.

Kitahara came up for the idea by combining her passions of healthy, organic foods and business. She began contacting people to help begin her business, and she starting buying the supplies.

“It’s a very interesting concept, definitely not your cookie cutter business,” Burns said. “It’s a very social and environmentally conscious business.”

In addition to Burns, Jonny Morel has also assisted Kitahara. Morel is in charge of basic operations, juices, bottles, and inventory for Yummi Karma. Morel will be assisting Kitahara during the business launch.

“We are expecting a pretty good response from the students,” Morel said. “We feel like they will be honest.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• T

Task MasterMar 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Sounds great! Hopefully it doesn’t burn my wallet too much.