Trustees call for increased funding

The California State University Board of Trustees on Wednesday asked state elected leaders for an $884 million funding increase in the 2010-2011 academic school year, following a two-day meeting.

The board adopted a budget proposal to increase the system̢۪s General Fund support from $2.3 billion to $3.2 billion during two separate meeting at the Chancellor̢۪s office in Long Beach this week.

As proposed by the board, the 23-campus system calls for Sacramento to provide $3.2 billion in general-fund support next fiscal year, an increase from the current $2.3 billion.

State funding for the CSU was reduced by $364 million for the 2009-10 academic year.

Reed addressed the board stating that CSU officials had laid out priorities within the $884 million for California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and legislature.

“I feel strongly that the Governor and the Legislature has given us a promise,â€Â Reed said during the meeting.

The plan calls for $283 million to restore funding for collective bargaining agreements. The total budget request of $3.2 billion exceeds the state support provided to the CSU in 2007-08, which is considered the last “predictableâ€Â funding year, by $259 million or 8.7 percent, according to CSU officials.