Healthy food options

Students might find better alternatives by thinking outside of the box

Panda Express and Taco Bell aren̢۪t the only dining options for California State University, Fresno students. In fact, there are several healthier choices both on and off campus.

In an e-mail interview with The Collegian, Debbie Adishian-Astone, director of auxiliary services, said that there have been a number of healthy food items added to the University Student Union snack bar. She also said students could consider stepping out of the USU.

“The dining hall always has a salad bar and vegetarian items,â€Â Adishian-Astone said.

Adishian-Astone also said that the university is open to suggestions.

“We always want feedback about other alternative menu items that would be well received, and perceived to be ‘healthy,’â€Â Adishian-Astone said.

Fresno State̢۪s Food Services Advisory Committee meets quarterly with an Association Board of Directors committee to discuss items such as food quality, food options, quality of service and new menu items.
For some students, however, the best options may still be off campus.

Michael Becker, a political science professor at Fresno State, suggests that students incorporate more organic produce. Becker defines organic produce as being grown without the use of pesticides or bioengineering, as staples in their diets for both health and environmental reasons. These options can found at stores and farmer̢۪s markets across the valley.

“Organic is far better for the environment,â€Â Becker said.

Becker also said that the amount of energy we use to raise farm animals for human consumption is environmentally damaging, and that a plant-based diet is more sustainable than a meat-based diet. He also said that while the issue of organic produce is big, the problems with a heavily carnivorous diet are more critical.

“I’d say that it’s more about the environmental impact of a meat-based diet over a plant-based diet, as opposed to just going organic,â€Â Becker said.

According to Becker, 70 percent of the farmland in the United States is used to grow grain for animal feed. He said that the energy used to keep farm animals, as well as the gasoline used for transport, is a great transgression on the environment.

Becker advocates that students make an effort to eat locally grown foods, and that transitioning to a plant-based diet is best for the health of people and the environment. He recommends shopping locally through farmer̢۪s markets.

“T & D Willey Farms in Madera is a good choice,â€Â he said.

Becker agreed that farmer̢۪s markets can be more expensive, but argued that the benefits outweigh the costs.

“What is your health worth to you?â€Â Becker asked.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousNov 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Guys got to look after the old ticker – eat healthily, excercise and test your self as well read more http://www.checkmybody.co.uk/cholesterol.htm