Our views: The Collegian picks ’em

In the spirit of Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) elections this week, The Collegian held its own vote, to determine whom we, as a whole, would endorse on this year’s ballot. The Collegian also held a vote to decide whether we support the referendum regarding potential pay for ASI senators.

The Collegian focused on the two races concerning ASI executive positions, President and Vice President of Finance, since these are seen as holding the most influence on campus and are held to a higher level of responsibility. Ten Collegian staffers participated in the vote and after all votes were tallied, we are proud to announce the candidates we are endorsing for each position.

In a very tight race, current Executive Vice President of ASI, Jessica Sweeten, was chosen for The Collegian’s official endorsement for the position of ASI president. Out of 10 possible votes, Sweeten earned six.

The Collegian feels that in order to establish and promote a higher level of credibility given to ASI and its officers, it is important to give those with experience and appropriate goals for the office, the necessary time to expand their influence on campus and thereby increase the benefits their office can provide to students.

As someone knowledgeable of the procedures and possible influence of the organization, as well as the controversies surrounding ASI, we believe Sweeten has the knowledge and abilities necessary to officiate as the president of the student government.

However, if elected, it is crucial that Sweeten completely removes herself from any questionable practices, similar to those that have plagued ASI in the recent past, so as the credibility of the organization is not further diminished, but is actually taken as a vital part of our campus. In order for Sweeten’s goals to be feasible, it is important that integrity, transparency and clarity remain at the forefront of the administration and organization.

The race was very clear cut for the VP of Finance position. With eight of the 10 votes, current VP of Finance, Lauren Johnson was selected for The Collegian’s official endorsement.

To us, Johnson has the experience and knowledge needed for this challenging position that is in charge of the management of student funds. Currently, Johnson is adequately performing her duties, by properly allotting funds to organizations that benefit our campus and students. Having knowledge of ASI’s pitfalls, Johnson has the potential to efficiently evade them and further work toward students’ interests.

The decision regarding the referendum was very close. Most of the staff seemed divided on potentially making senator positions paid. In the end, The Collegian is in favor, with a 6-4 vote.

Being a position that requires commitment, time and hard work in lobbying for their set colleges, the request to grant stipends to senators is warranted. If we expect quality leadership, we should be willing to compensate those in office for their time.

We believe granting a compensation will promote an increased sense of responsibility and commitment as well as attract top students for the positions. Creating stipend positions enables the student body to hold ASI senators to a superior level of service and work.

With our decisions made, we urge students themselves to do some research and cast a vote this week. Elections begin tomorrow and close Thursday at noon. It is time to get your voices heard!

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

InsightfulApr 23, 2009 at 11:37 am

ha!

• I

InsightfulApr 23, 2009 at 6:37 pm

ha!

ATC foolApr 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

All things considered you shouldn’t gave aligned yourself with a fool! Now you pay!
    How quick you are to turn against Tom. et tu Brute?!? HA! And for the record what are you talking about 98% of student fees, just goes to show how idiotic you all are no idea of how things work don’t be the bitter square who couldn’t play sports or join something. No offense to anyone who isn’t involved and isn’t bitter about it.

ATC foolApr 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Collegian criticApr 23, 2009 at 5:25 am

Why does collegian even exist? My fees pay for a useless paper that almost nobody reads……i see the newspaper rakcs every day and they are always full, honestly who reads the collegian in paper format? save our fees cut the silly high school, lets talk about silly stuff newsletter.

Collegian criticApr 22, 2009 at 10:25 pm

all things consideredApr 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Tom aside…All the other candidates on P.ED.R.O. are active students working on student issues for other reasons than dressing up their resumes for law school. we need some new blood. we need to cut back our spending on frivolous things that aren’t academic in this budget crisis. student sports and student frats and sororities should be rolling up their sleeves and doing a car wash instead of using the other 98% of the CSU Fresno student’s fees.

….angry frats and sororities– oh I know you guys donate a weekend a year at the Poverllo house…good for you.

all things consideredApr 23, 2009 at 5:13 am

• T

Turd Burglar 27Apr 22, 2009 at 8:59 pm

you fools produce a college paper and feel entitled to make student election picks? let the students have their say and please, in your role as a nonpartisan observer, stand on the sidelines.. Report the day after

• T

Turd Burglar 27Apr 23, 2009 at 3:59 am

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Haha, really, im wrong? While it might be hard because he used different names check it out.
    I love how you dont even address any specific claims that are wrong. You ask anyone who actually knew what was going on and they will tell you its the truth.
    Oh no slander!!! You would talk about that you litigation happy fool! The truth is out!

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 22, 2009 at 9:34 pm

MisinformedApr 22, 2009 at 10:18 am

You obviously don’t know what you are talking about.

You are very wrong on all of those accounts and what you say could be considered slander.

Check court records. Check police records. You are wrong on all counts.

Do YOUR homework.

MisinformedApr 22, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Do YOUR homework.

• I

InsightfulApr 22, 2009 at 8:43 am

Interesting PEDRO JOKE

• I

InsightfulApr 22, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Interesting PEDRO JOKE

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 21, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Has everybody forgotten that Tom is married to Annie, which means that all of the money and equipment that she stole from ASI, from STUDENTS is in his house too? THATS WHY SHE GOT FIRED!
    Check the facts, ask Pedro about that. She got caught, fired, and tried to call foul. Then they went through and found some errors on behalf of the execs, nothing like stealing $3,000 worth of money through carwashes, gas, shipment, etc. Even a getaway with Tom!
    Then Tom and Annie cried to the media, before state had a chance to through anonymous emails from “CSUFinvestigationâ€Â and even stalked ASI employees to try to get them to go along with their story. The only part that worked was the gullible media and it was one day worth of news for the real news. And he convinced Walter and the slow guy to start up a petition because he could not be on campus because of his stalking. Check the university police records.
    That̢۪s why the collegian did not endorse him, and that̢۪s why hes manipuated a bunch of other inexperienced students to go along with his plan.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 22, 2009 at 4:52 am

Then Tom and Annie cried to the media, before state had a chance to through anonymous emails from “CSUFinvestigation” and even stalked ASI employees to try to get them to go along with their story. The only part that worked was the gullible media and it was one day worth of news for the real news. And he convinced Walter and the slow guy to start up a petition because he could not be on campus because of his stalking. Check the university police records.
    That’s why the collegian did not endorse him, and that’s why hes manipuated a bunch of other inexperienced students to go along with his plan.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

• N

New ASIApr 21, 2009 at 5:00 pm

If any attention is being paid to what the new ASI candidates want to do, you will see it isn’t based on scandal.
    The scandal issue it there because someone else tied Tom to the ASI office scandal.
    He and the others have given you a very detailed, and laid out platform with which to express their ideas and goals for a new government.
    Ask them questions? Talk to them. Don’t just go by what some hot head says about them.
    Check out their platform – check out the others as well.
    Do your HOMEWORK!

• N

New ASIApr 22, 2009 at 12:00 am

Do your HOMEWORK!

Concerned StudentApr 21, 2009 at 12:22 pm

My worry is how easily students are swayed when students that are not even on any student committees for ASI say “scandal, outrage, dirty politics” but haven’t taken steps on a volunteer scale to see or test if those ideas are true. These uninvolved students come off to me as the kind of people who are quick to speak and judge but might find it just as hard to hold their own. What’s even more bazaar is how much the current ASI is made of volunteers and people who worked around the clock when the people elected by vote last year failed them, and we ridicule them. How absurd, why are we bashing those people? Scandal, scandal, scandal. That’s what all the new candidates for office chant about this year’s ASI. We as Students must be gullible, we knew the integrity of the students put in office before they got elected, and then we blame them for being themselves.

Look out FSU, it’s a new crew in the form of PEDRO…more twisted truth and questionable integrity. And students actually take lies and unintelligent arguments from them at face value without doing their own research.

When will we as humans realize we do not get the government we desire, but the one we deserve? We deserve it by our own critical thinking and lack of insight, and by the way we vote.

Concerned StudentApr 21, 2009 at 7:22 pm

SammyApr 21, 2009 at 11:46 am

You cannot supplement ASI’s overall revenue with grants, because it’s based off of purely the ASI student fee. It can supplement programs, but it is not added to ASI’s top line revenue.

SammyApr 21, 2009 at 6:46 pm

• P

PredictionApr 21, 2009 at 11:31 am

hi dw:
    actually im more of a commuter and night classer, some PEDRO candidates caught me one evening going to class and asked me to vote for them, they had alot of interesting things about our university i was totally oblivious to, and i had no idea how the ASI works and that my fees go into this. It may also be that students are completely unaware of the ASI and fees in total. So although it may seem majority dont vote , it can be that we are unaware

thank you to those youngsters who approached me.

• P

PredictionApr 21, 2009 at 6:31 pm

hi dw:

dwApr 20, 2009 at 8:39 pm

You know, comments like the above only serve to affirm why the vast majority of students ignore ASI and don’t vote. Every year, the bickering and the accusations start flying. So, out of 22,000 odd students on this campus, fewer than 1,000 bother to go to the polls. Perhaps that is a measure of the value ASI really has.

dwApr 21, 2009 at 3:39 am

• R

RickApr 20, 2009 at 4:40 pm

The fresh and new candidate I see is Jaz Kamboj. My vote is going to him.

• R

RickApr 20, 2009 at 11:40 pm

START FRESHApr 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm

If you look close at the current administration you will see that they are in the pockets of the past administrations, Mackee, Flores, etc.
    Alex Andreotti was as much a part of the illegal activities as anyone. She knew what was going on.
    So did Ezra Peyton, he was drinking with the underage students too. He is running in this election too.

Get rid of them all. START FRESH.

They need to leave and give that office a fresh start and a new chance at building connections with the students.

START FRESHApr 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Get rid of them all. START FRESH.

Can't believe itApr 20, 2009 at 3:35 pm

What Collegian or anyone else failed to state is that Jessica Sweeten was brought on board when there were no other options.
    Lauren Johnson wasn’t around during the early months of her VP Finance term last year. She was in Paris – BUT – she collected payroll checks for those months she wasn’t even in office doing real work.
    That is NOT sound fiscal practice.

I say, “OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW”.

What have we got to lose? Give some NEW people a NEW shot at this. Get rid of these current leaders and START FRESH!

Can't believe itApr 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm

That is NOT sound fiscal practice.