Letter to the editor

A recent Fresno Bee article, “Preparing for an Uncertain Future,â€Â highlighted challenges new job seekers face in the current economy. The story touched on ways new graduates can become more competitive in today’s difficult job market.

Improving your resume, expanding job searches and considering graduate school are all good to consider. One option the article did not mention is gaining experience by participating in one of the many national and international service programs available to new graduates.

AmeriCorps, VISTA, Peace Corps and other programs offer excellent training, a living allowance, loan deferral and funding to pay past or future educational expenses. Equally important, these programs provide young people the chance to make a profound difference in the world by serving disadvantaged populations. Through these programs, volunteers can gain experience and help change lives here in Fresno and around the world. President Obama, like his predecessors, has called on us all to consider ways that we can be a part of improving our nation and our world through service. If you are concerned about your options after graduation, or want the opportunity to have your work make a real difference, visit csufresno.edu/leap, americorps.org or peacecorps.gov.

Fresno State students can also contact the Richter Center at 278-7079 for personal assistance and advice on the benefits and options offered by spending a year or more in one of these service programs.

Chris Fiorentino
Faculty Director
Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning

$100
$500

$100
$500

jsvFeb 2, 2009 at 9:50 am

Most of the students when they go out to look for a job they think “what can this place offer me?”. Well you need to think about what you can offer the employer as well.

jsvFeb 2, 2009 at 4:50 pm

jenniferFeb 2, 2009 at 2:10 am

I believe that students should be encouraged to work while in college for this very reason.If you graduate without the experience you will have a slim chance of getting a job in todays job market.I worked from the time I was old enough to get a work permit, and I have worked full time since I was 17. When I applied for a job with the county of Fresno 300 people also applied and guess what all 300 had the same degree as me.They hired 30 out of the 300 and I was one of them.It is not your degree that will get you the job it is your work experience. I think Fresno State needs to wake up and smell the coffee and begin to offer more ways for working students to graduate and stop treating fresno state students like they are attending a second high school. I always laugh when I get those stupid emails about how I can find that first job out of college,or how to write an effective resume,or how to interview,and bullcrap like that.It’s like HELLO I have been working since I was 17 I don’t need your hel I mean come on i’m not retarded.I also hate when I am told that this is like a job or preparing you for a job in reference to being a student. It is nothing like a job and it did not prepare me for one either.I prepared myself.

jenniferFeb 2, 2009 at 9:10 am